Clear All

• best WWII Rifle

What is your favorite rifle

The Enfield
    The Mauser 98k
    The G-43
    The M-1 Garand
    Type 99

Mine would would have to be between the Garand and the Mauser 98k.
    Mauser K98k
    0.00%
    Jappanese type 99
    0.00%
    Lee Enfield (Any)
    16.67%
    M-1 Garand
    83.33%
    Asrika type 38
    0.00%
    German G-43
    0.00%
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

All things considered; the M-1 Gerand has to be my favorite rifle of World War II. Also I would say it was the best rifle of the war.

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

The M-1 Gerand was the only standard issue automatic rifle of any army in the war. This gave the U.S. army much more firepower man for man then anyone else.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by tsar
        The M-1 Gerand was the only standard issue automatic rifle of any army in the war. This gave the U.S. army much more firepower man for man then anyone else.
        Um, I'd give a conditional agreement to this statement.

First, the firepower of the american army surely didn't depend on the small arms. The M1 is a good gun, but not THAT good.

Second, while individually, the american infantryman might have enjoyed an advantage (note the word "might"), in terms of squad/platoon firepower, american units could often find themselves outgunned.

The ubiquitious nature of the MG34/42, plus the largish numbers of submachine guns in panzergrenadier/panzer units meant a whole lot of firepower.

Let's put it this way: if all the planes and tanks and arty in the war were ignored, where would you rather be: in a panzergrenadier platoon or an american armored infantry platoon?

That's a lot tougher call, isn't it?

Comment

I would definately go with the M-1 Garand. I would take semi over bolt action for a regular grunt.:thumb:
          Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speakup and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat
            Um, I'd give a conditional agreement to this statement.

First, the firepower of the american army surely didn't depend on the small arms. The M1 is a good gun, but not THAT good.

Second, while individually, the american infantryman might have enjoyed an advantage (note the word "might"), in terms of squad/platoon firepower, american units could often find themselves outgunned.

The ubiquitious nature of the MG34/42, plus the largish numbers of submachine guns in panzergrenadier/panzer units meant a whole lot of firepower.

Let's put it this way: if all the planes and tanks and arty in the war were ignored, where would you rather be: in a panzergrenadier platoon or an american armored infantry platoon?

That's a lot tougher call, isn't it?
            The M-1 Garand was without a doubt the best rifle of WW II.

The comment you make about the MG 34/42 is correct, but the Germans based their infantry units around the machine gun, while the US tactics were based around the rifle.

The MG 34/42 was the best machine gun of the war. You might want to check the thread on the most revolutionary weapons of all time.
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
              The M-1 Garand was without a doubt the best rifle of WW II.

Oh absolutely, no argument here.

I was just saying that the Garand, as good as it was, wasn't enough to give american infantry units a significant edge over the enemy, especially panzergrenadier/panzer units. Or maybe you disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat
                Oh absolutely, no argument here.

I was just saying that the Garand, as good as it was, wasn't enough to give american infantry units a significant edge over the enemy, especially panzergrenadier/panzer units. Or maybe you disagree?
                Probably the best answer is that almost all nations copied the dual purpose technology pioneered by the MG 34/42 and adapted their tactics to suit this new base of firepower.
                Lance W.

Comment

Have to go with the Garand. Its classic design and the punch.
                  After playing Medal of Honor, I would use the Garand before any other weapon on there.

Mark
                  Deo Vindice
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Garand and 98k. Really in design the 98k beats out the Garand. The Garand beats the 98k with semi-auto and 3 rounds more. I would like to own both rifles (i got a 98k looking for a Garand) but I believe consider the weapons used on a Company scale level and the Garand is beat out by the multiple MG's on the German area. Germans lived and died by base of fire.
                    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Garand Mania

It seems that the M-1 Garand seems to be the most popular at this point Mauser K98k 7% an The M-1 Garand 92%. What about the Type 99 or the Lee Enfields?
                      Peter Williams

Comment

Re: Garand Mania

Originally posted by panzerboy
                        It seems that the M-1 Garand seems to be the most popular at this point Mauser K98k 7% an The M-1 Garand 92%. What about the Type 99 or the Lee Enfields?
                        The Lee Enfield was a very good rifle. Its 10 round magazine was its biggest advantage over other bolt action rifles and its bolt allowed for more rapid fire than a Mauser K98. The trade off was slightly less accuracy (though it was still an accurate weapon).

The less said about the Type 99 (or any other Japanese rifle) the better. On the whole Japanese small arms were generally the worst of any of the major combatants of WW II.
                        Lance W.

Comment

One other thing that made the Gerand nice. GI's taking empty clips and flinging them on the ground to simulate running out of ammo. Got the Germans every time.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Type 99

Does anyone really like the Jappense type 99 rifle. I've heard it was very acurate.
                            Peter Williams

Comment

Its a piece of junk. The machine gun, the Fugaku (sp?) was an accurate weapon, but the only thing that held the Japanese together was their "Warrior's Code."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X