Greece to buy 18 Rafales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greece to buy 18 Rafales

Amidst rising tensions with Turkey, Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis announced his country would buy from France 18 Rafales and some ships as well.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/202...boost-defense/
    You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Buying 18 Rafaels is not going to balance the threat posed by the Turkish Air Force. The Greek Economy is a basket case. Where will they find the money?

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post
      Amidst rising tensions with Turkey, Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis announced his country would buy from France 18 Rafales and some ships as well.

i saw modernization of their hydra class, but didn't see anything about buying ships from france in that article
      the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
      A man dies and leaves his name,
      A teacher dies and teaches death.
      Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        Buying 18 Rafaels is not going to balance the threat posed by the Turkish Air Force. The Greek Economy is a basket case. Where will they find the money?

Pruitt
        It's a step in the right direction though, not that I think any action will come out of the two nations. As for where they think they have the funds for this purchase, this has everyone scratching their heads, even in France.

Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

i saw modernization of their hydra class, but didn't see anything about buying ships from france in that article
        It is kind of a generically written sentence, I'm wondering about it too.
        Greece will buy 18 new Rafale aircraft and four frigates
        ...we know where the Rafales are coming from, but of the frigates? Who knows.
        You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Buying 18 Rafales while already having a fleet of 150 F-16's of which a substantial part will be upgraded to F-16V is almost as illogical as the Indonesians announcing their intent of buying the "experienced" 15 Eurofighters from Austria while having a fleet of Hawks, Su-27/30 and F-16's.
          The Greek also operate about 50 Mirage 2000. Wich likely has nothing in common with the Rafale.
          "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

It's a step in the right direction though, not that I think any action will come out of the two nations. As for where they think they have the funds for this purchase, this has everyone scratching their heads, even in France.

It is kind of a generically written sentence, I'm wondering about it too. ...we know where the Rafales are coming from, but of the frigates? Who knows.
            the headline says four new frigates, but the article itself says nothing about greece buying new frigates.

this article makes it clear that they are indeed buying 4 new frigates AND refurbishing some, but still no mention of if they're buying a new indigenous design that they're working on, buying new constructions from someone else, or buying 'new' as in new to them, but still second hand, from someone else.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...our%20frigates.
            Last edited by General_Jacke; 14 Sep 20, 15:23.

Comment

Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

the headline says four new frigates, but the article itself says nothing about greece buying new frigates.
              Some of their corvettes have enough guns and missiles to embarrass foreign frigates.
              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
              Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
              Mark Twain.

Comment

Apart from the two warships colliding, what other serious incident have they had? I’d be hesitant to lump in the “dogfight” video’s because they’re not even close to being considered serious threats directed at each other.
                "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

Apart from the two warships colliding, what other serious incident have they had? I’d be hesitant to lump in the “dogfight” video’s because they’re not even close to being considered serious threats directed at each other.
                  i imagine turkey regularly ignoring greece's legitimate claims to certain portions of the Med is considered a serious incident to greece...

Comment

I thought they were bankrupt. How can they afford new planes?
                    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                      I thought they were bankrupt. How can they afford new planes?
                      I don't understand your question.
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

All the best Greeks.

We can sell you missiles, for your defense against Turks.

Who are being helped by Chinese & Pakistani Army.

We know that you will emerge victorious.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                          I don't understand your question.
                          The Greeks are supposed to have chronic financial problems. Rafales aren't cheap.
                          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

The Greeks are supposed to have chronic financial problems. Rafales aren't cheap.
                            You missed the joke. When had bankruptcies stopped governments from spending tax money they haven't collected yet, or buy things they can't afford?
                            Last edited by Salinator; 15 Sep 20, 18:54.
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X