Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

avenger style vehicle with ESSM are mobile AAW systems against high end world powers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avenger style vehicle with ESSM are mobile AAW systems against high end world powers?

1. could an ESSM launcher be reasonably fitted to a vehicle like a humvee or MRAP?
    2. are such air defenses even relevant any more these days?
    the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
    A man dies and leaves his name,
    A teacher dies and teaches death.
    Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Probably not when we already have the NASAMS (National/Norwegian Advanced Surface to Air Missile System).
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

Comment

What could a vehicle mounted SAM do to a swarm of drones?
      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
        What could a vehicle mounted SAM do to a swarm of drones?
        that would mostly depend on the SAM and how large the drones are, and how many are in the SWARM

Comment

Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post
          1. could an ESSM launcher be reasonably fitted to a vehicle like a humvee or MRAP?
          I actually did the math a while back. You could straight up mount SEARAM to a 7ton. It's also probable that you could mount a limited ESSM system to a 7 ton as well.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

I actually did the math a while back. You could straight up mount SEARAM to a 7ton. It's also probable that you could mount a limited ESSM system to a 7 ton as well.
            i was thinking something a bit more mobile and able to keep up with the troops and provide an AA umbrella right at the front lines, a 7 ton seems like something they'd have to move forward after the new front has been established.

Comment

There are some vehicles currently in the inventory which might be suitable. Which of these would you select?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=curret...81976DEC9574B6

Comment

How mobile does it have to be? Wheeled Vehicles do not go to where some tracked vehicles can go. Also a factor is whether one wants an "off the shelf" vehicle or if the Generals want to hang all kinds of bells and whistles on it.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Gulf war proved that air defences can force a modern airforce to operate outside their optimal operational environment.
                  Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

Gulf war proved that air defences can force a modern airforce to operate outside their optimal operational environment.
                    that was also 20 years ago, technology has advanced

Comment

Spitballing, you could probably take the literal chassis (not the hull) of a Stryker and do an air defense variant. I'd probably have a driver forward, maybe the vehicle commander as well with an RWS for self defense mounted far forward. a VLS pack amid-vehicle, and the Radar aft with two crewers in the back running the anti-air system. Don't know what sort of range you could get out of it, though if you can get the radar reasonably small and light you might be able to run a vehicle with a marginally sizeable SAM battery, like 8 missiles or so. That would be good for countering both incoming ballistic threats like SCUD analogues, potentially cruise missiles, and helicopters....having more missiles immediately on tap per vehicle would allow for both rapid and sustained engagement against a helo threat.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

that was also 20 years ago, technology has advanced
                        How does the timeline change that?

The Coalition threw all they had at the Iraqi defences and had to change tactics within days in order not to lose planes. Fighting against another modern highly trained army today pretty much lands you in the same ballpark, if not worse.

I'm not sure why you're being so flippant... on the one hand you want to throw around ideas of having an ESSM launcher on the battlefield, yet in the same breath turn around and ask if air defences are even relevant these days.
                        Last edited by Achtung Baby; 16 Sep 20, 06:56.
                        Ernest Hemingway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

An ESSM is 12ft long and weighs 600+lbs. The vehicle would have to be large. Depending on the FC radar size, you might be able to do a SeaRam.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

How does the timeline change that?

The Coalition threw all they had at the Iraqi defences and had to change tactics within days in order not to lose planes. Fighting against another modern highly trained army today pretty much lands you in the same ballpark, if not worse.

I'm not sure why you're being so flippant... on the one hand you want to throw around ideas of having an ESSM launcher on the battlefield, yet in the same breath turn around and ask if air defences are even relevant these days.
                            yes it's an idea i had, because as far as mobile AA is concerned the US doesn't seem to have spent nearly as much time or money on it as other nations as far as i am aware, and was then curious if long range air-surface made shorter range options obsolete. sorry if my response seemed 'flippant' but just because something worked in 1991 by no means, means it will work in 2021 due to the way technology advances.
                            we've seen plenty of examples of shorter ranged mobile AA platforms being ****ed up, both by drones, and manned aircraft in syria.
                            Last edited by General_Jacke; 16 Sep 20, 10:55.

Comment

I don't think an ESSM would work well for another reason. You'd never get to use its range. On the sea, you have a flat horizon and a radar mounted high on the ship's superstructure. In a ground role, you have only short range targets.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X