U.S. M-1 rifle firing rifle grenades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. M-1 rifle firing rifle grenades?

A soldier with a U.S. M1 rifle loaded and chambered with standard ball ammunition needs to use his rifle grenade launcher. He needs to switch to a rifle grenade launching blank. What are the steps ?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
    A soldier with a U.S. M1 rifle loaded and chambered with standard ball ammunition needs to use his rifle grenade launcher. He needs to switch to a rifle grenade launching blank. What are the steps ?
    Remove clip.

Fire round in chamber.

Attach launcher.

Attach grenade.

Insert blank launcher round.

Pull trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Remove clip.

Fire round in chamber.

Attach launcher.

Attach grenade.

Insert blank launcher round.

Pull trigger.
      I think you can forget #2. Pulling the bolt to the rear so that they clip will eject will also empty the chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post

I think you can forget #2. Pulling the bolt to the rear so that they clip will eject will also empty the chamber.
        It would be good to change to grenade launcher blank without firing the rifle. It would be handy when setting up an ambush to not fire the rifle just to clear the ball ammunition.
        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Wen the weapon is loaded, pulling the bolt back will eject the chambered round, but not the clip, as I recall. That has to extracted next unless the clip is empty. Then you get that annoying PING!!

Normally, in the field, one would have a clip in the weapon, and likely a round chambered and the safety set as well. Then you get that annoying PING!! Instructions say to load blank ammo before grenade. I can't find any step-by-step instructions on setting up, but there must be some somewhere. The military has instructions for everything. I remember that there are six rings on the launcher and selecting one determines range ( and recoil!)- up to 200 yards at Pos 6, IIRC.

I only fired the thing twice during Basic. Being a medic, it wasn't a major part of my training after that. When I did it, we started with unloaded rifles. My rifle was one of six selected for the platoon's training session, which meant a @#$%&*!! cleaning job for me after all those blanks went through the barrel.

Comment

Nice to hear from some one with hands on experience. I asked my father but he hasn't touched a M-1 rifle since he left Korea in 1952. He never fired a rifle grenade after basic training.

Comment

You also need to have the correct type of M1 rifle. Not all Garands have the correct gas check plug on the barrel.

Comment

I went thru Basic late 1962 and AIT early 1963 and ALL the Rifles we were issued must have had the correct gas check plug, especially in AIT we were trained and shot rifle grenades plenty!
                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                  I went thru Basic late 1962 and AIT early 1963 and ALL the Rifles we were issued must have had the correct gas check plug, especially in AIT we were trained and shot rifle grenades plenty!
                  I would guess after the big war most of the M1 went through arsenal upgrades to the latest standard.

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

I would guess after the big war most of the M1 went through arsenal upgrades to the latest standard.
                    Yes they did, when I got to my first unit we had M-14s and 3.5 inch rocket launchers, only the National Guard and Reserves were relegated to the M1.

Comment

Yeah...I was issued the '14 when I came back from Korea in early '63. Nice weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Yeah...I was issued the '14 when I came back from Korea in early '63. Nice weapon.
                        I own three 14 Clones, the top two are match rifles I use in high power competition, the bottom one ( my favorite) is in standard configuration with all TRW parts short of the receiver.

Here is a better picture of it!

Last edited by Trung Si; 15 Aug 20, 15:08.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

I own three 14 Clones, the top two are match rifles I use in high power competition, the bottom one ( my favorite) is in standard configuration with all TRW parts short of the receiver.

Here is a better picture of it!

Nice! I only have one Mine has a composite stock, shoots like a dream,
                            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X