An M1 Garand Tale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An M1 Garand Tale...

This is a bit convoluted, so stay with me... Back in the 90's, I shot NRA/DCM Highpower Rifle matches. I bought a Garand from the DCM. Well, I got out of shooting, was trying to pare stuff down that I didn't use, and I sold the Garand. For years I didn't miss it. Then, back in June, my wife and I visited Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc. In October, we visited a college roommate of my wife in Hartford, CT. We drove up the road to Springfield, MA and visited the Springfield Armory NHS. The itch started to come back. Lately, the wife has been watching Band of Brothers. The itch got stronger. I had a small windfall that got me a little extra money. Long story short, yesterday was a nice, winter day and I drove the 86 miles down to Camp Perry to visit the CMP. Half an hour later, I left with a "like new" Service Grade Springfield Armory M1 Garand made in early 1945. It has a new production wood stock and the metal is matching and in 90%+ condition. Leaving Camp Perry on Highway 2, I saw two bald eagles. The smile hasn't left my face yet!

Have fun with it

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

I bought one from DCM (before it became CMP) in the 80s for $ 160.00, shot a lot of J.C. Garand
      Matches with it, even won a few.
      Last edited by Trung Si; 14 Dec 19, 20:57.
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

First rifle I was issued in the Army. Accurate and excellent stopping power. I liked it almost as much as the later M-14.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Isn't the M-14 an improved M-1 Garand?
          TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

d dd
            Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
            Yes it is, 20 Round magazine fed and an impeccably caliber, .308 or 7.62X51, I love that Weapon!
            I own three of them!
            Last edited by Trung Si; 19 Dec 19, 12:33.

Comment

I have two DCM Garands, one I purchased through the program for $165, and the other I bought from a cook at a local gun club. Paid the guy around $185; it's an all-original McFarland made in December 1942. The latter is pretty minty.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

The M-1 Garand is itself is a highly improved idea taken from the French Fusil Automatique Modèle 1917 rifle (RSC 1917). When John Garand was given the task of creating a new weapon for the US Army, he was given (or requested) several rifles (US and Foreign) to look at existing concepts. He had examined the French RSC M1917 rifle closely and it appears he took most of his ideas for the M-1 from it.

From the RSC 1917, J. Garand took: The gas system, operation rod, trigger assembly, rotating bolt and the en-bloc loading system.

A comparison between the M-1 and the RSC 1917 show the gas system, op-rod and rotating bolt are very similar in design and operation. The trigger assembly itself looks almost as an exact copy.

Where J. Garand refined it was by removing the need for all the little screws, making it capable of being easily "broken down" for cleaning and maintenance, and of course simplified and giving it a modern cartridge.
                You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

^ Thanks ^
                  Very informative bit of background.
                  Imitation plus refinement is often the heart of improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                    d dd

Yes it is, 20 Round magazine fed and an impeccably caliber, .308 or 7.62X51, I love that Weapon!
                    I own three of them!
                    The M-14 was my favorite. Once the plastic Mattel rifles came out, things were never the same.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

My experience of the M-14 is the civilian version "M-1" my older son owns which I've fired a few times at the range. Very nice rifle for it's size and caliber. Obviously no legal full-auto capability.
                      BTW, his has the lighter plastic/polymer stock, so looks a bit different.

Comment

My experience of the M-14 is the civilian version "M-1" my older son owns which I've fired a few times at the range. Very nice rifle for it's size and caliber. Obviously no legal full-auto capability.
                        BTW, his has the lighter plastic/polymer stock, so looks a bit different.
                        Your older Son's rifle is probably a Springfield Armory M1A, they were the first ones to come out with the civilian clone but for some obscure reason the BATF wouldn't let them use 14 so they named their rifles M1A, however that changed in the 80s, my three clones all have M14 on the receiver in some form or fashion, but SA still call their clone M1A, there are very Few real M-14s in civilian hands and the Military destroyed most of them (thanks to Bill Clinton), when they had need for them again in the 90s the thousands that been loaned to shooting clubs all over the country had to be recalled just for parts to maintain the weapons they still had.

Comment

What an M-14 could do in capable hands...……..

https://www.wearethemighty.com/artic...1#rebelltitem1

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                            What a (fine tuned) M-14 could do in capable hands..
                            At 200 yds, sitting.

Comment

Remind me to call you ahead of time before I drive up to your house...…...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X