Strange looking Dutch camouflage pattern

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange looking Dutch camouflage pattern

In this article is a picture of Dutch Army paratroopers in Curacao, what's the deal with the bright shades of green and brown in the pattern? I can't imagine it will achieve anything other than make the soldiers stand out very clearly.
    https://antilliaansdagblad.com/nieuw...van-de-wacht-2

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
    In this article is a picture of Dutch Army paratroopers in Curacao, what's the deal with the bright shades of green and brown in the pattern? I can't imagine it will achieve anything other than make the soldiers stand out very clearly.
    https://antilliaansdagblad.com/nieuw...van-de-wacht-2
    The purpose of camouflage is often not so much to make one blend into the background as to break up one's shape. The brain is not constantly processing all the visual data that the optical system feeds in. Most of what we 'see' is actually generated internally from a model of our surroundings. The brain focuses in on shapes etc that trigger alarms and then starts processing optical data on them in detail. This is why orange coloured beasts with black stripes, like tigers, did so well in green jungles.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Reminds me of the old Woodland's Pattern, but badly aged.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Actually it's not too bad, but operationally the red berets would have to go and sleeves would be rolled-down.
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

It may be poor editing or settings on the photo. You'd be surprised how bright some colors in the jungles are, too.

Comment

Originally posted by 82redleg View Post
            It may be poor editing or settings on the photo. You'd be surprised how bright some colors in the jungles are, too.
            Exactly. Greens in the jungle are brighter than greens in a temperate zone. I remember the first time I saw the Australian camouflage pattern back in the mid 90s. I thought it was too bright, but it worked for them.

Comment

Originally posted by 82redleg View Post
              That was my thought as well but then I found additional photos on Twitter. Pattern appears the same there as well.

It seems that this camouflage is only worn by Dutch Army paratroopers and only in the Caribbean. Other Dutch Army units and the Dutch Marines serving in the Caribbean seem to wear the standard Dutch woodland camo which is based on our old BDU pattern.

Comment

Reminds me of the French Lizard pattern. Also isn't the point of camouflage is to be hidden not stand out?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X