F-35Bs for Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-35Bs for Japan

Looks like Japanese carriers are getting some airpower.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/ht...​​
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Good. The more we sell, the cheaper ours will be in future purchases.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The Japanese are responding to the Chinese threat. I'd like to see them do more.
      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
        The Japanese are responding to the Chinese threat. I'd like to see them do more.
        They've beefed up their navy and air force quite a bit. Their navy is in the top 5 in the world. If you take away the nuclear option of a couple of the others, it may be top 3. Their air force has over 150 F15's and 60 indigenous F16 variants. They have over 140 F35A's on order. They aren't to be messed with without consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post

They've beefed up their navy and air force quite a bit. Their navy is in the top 5 in the world. If you take away the nuclear option of a couple of the others, it may be top 3. Their air force has over 150 F15's and 60 indigenous F16 variants. They have over 140 F35A's on order. They aren't to be messed with without consequences.
          We'll see if they beef up the flight deck of one of those "destroyers". It will be interesting.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post

We'll see if they beef up the flight deck of one of those "destroyers". It will be interesting.
            They don't need to. I've read several articles now that claim the Izumo class can operate VTOL F-35's as is.

Comment

I'd like to see them step up and perhaps buy a soon to be decommissioned us carrier....would still be a good item to make the Chinese think twice

Comment

CVs are so damned difficult and expensive to operate. . . . Adm Eugene Carroll described them as a curse, that could tie a navy into knots for generations. If Japan really wants to get into PRC's kitchen, then a small flotilla of cruise-missile armed SSGNs should more than do the trick.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                  I'd like to see them step up and perhaps buy a soon to be decommissioned us carrier....would still be a good item to make the Chinese think twice
                  Their "destroyers" with flight decks are all they need. I also don't think we are decomming a carrier anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post

Their "destroyers" with flight decks are all they need. I also don't think we are decomming a carrier anytime soon.
                    Nimitz passed 40, but I agree with you: Japan doesn't need a fleet CV. It's way more ship than they need.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Nimitz passed 40, but I agree with you: Japan doesn't need a fleet CV. It's way more ship than they need.
                      The Japanese could probably operate and service a conventional US type CV, but I can't see them doing a nuclear powered one. That's an exponentially greater cost and servicing, not to mention manning, proposition. The US for several decades operated a CV out of Japan and the Japanese did most of the yard service work on it.
                      But, the US is no longer building conventional CV's so that would be a problem, and the few remaining ones are so old they'd not be worth keeping up and in commission.

Now, it the Japanese wanted to build a CV I could see them doing it with some technical support from the US on certain systems. Building one that was say, an Essex or even a Midway sized carrier (say 40,000 to 60,000 tons) would be a reasonable proposition for them.

Comment

I bet it would even be a cat and trap carrier, unlike a certain other country...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Now, it the Japanese wanted to build a CV I could see them doing it with some technical support from the US on certain systems. Building one that was say, an Essex or even a Midway sized carrier (say 40,000 to 60,000 tons) would be a reasonable proposition for them.
                          I would love to see that.
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

If the JMSDF does modify the carriers for fixed winged operations will the F-35B be flown by naval pilots or JASDF pilots?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X