Navies In The 21st Century

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navies In The 21st Century

That's the title of a book that I just finished reading. While not cheap ($40), it should be in the bookcase of every person with an interest in modern navies and how they got to where they are. It covers how they evolved from how they were in the Cold War. For instance, the Baltic forces were centered on FAC and small subs and the Netherlands on minesweeping and ASW work in the Atlantic. Now, they have all changed to be able to do out-of-area deployments and the big, ugly Bear wakes up. There are overviews of every regions navies, along with separate chapters on the big or interesting ones (USN, RN, PLAN, etc.) There are separate chapters on electronics, shipbuilding trends, aviation and others. You'll spend several nights reading it and keep it for years as a reference guide.
    PS--I put my post here instead of the Books forum because I figured it would get more reads here.
    https://www.amazon.com/Navies-21st-C...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Last edited by johns624; 08 Nov 18, 20:18. Reason: Forgot link

Iím tempted, how many pages is it?
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
      That's the title of a book that I just finished reading. While not cheap ($40), it should be in the bookcase of every person with an interest in modern navies and how they got to where they are. It covers how they evolved from how they were in the Cold War. For instance, the Baltic forces were centered on FAC and small subs and the Netherlands on minesweeping and ASW work in the Atlantic. Now, they have all changed to be able to do out-of-area deployments and the big, ugly Bear wakes up. There are overviews of every regions navies, along with separate chapters on the big or interesting ones (USN, RN, PLAN, etc.) There are separate chapters on electronics, shipbuilding trends, aviation and others. You'll spend several nights reading it and keep it for years as a reference guide.
      PS--I put my post here instead of the Books forum because I figured it would get more reads here.
      From your Amazon link;
      What is the purpose of navies in the modern world, and what types of warship does this require? This volume tackles these questions by looking at naval developments, both technological and operational, in the quarter century since the end of the Cold War. It provides the overall political and economic context, assesses significant naval operations from the first Gulf War to Russia's annexation of Crimea, reviews changes in the objectives and composition of the principal fleets, describes major design developments among the main warship types, and examines wider technological and operational developments, including naval aviation, shipbuilding, and manning.

Navies in the 21st Century follows the successful approach and format of Seaforth's annual World Naval Review, with individual sections by internationally acknowledged experts, and is heavily illustrated in a similar style. As a succinct, single-volume overview of how contemporary navies have evolved to meet today's challenges it is unrivalled, and will prove invaluable to defense professionals and interested enthusiasts alike.

Sounds very interesting. May try my county library system for a start.
      Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
      Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
        Iím tempted, how many pages is it?
        252 pages. With every regional chapter, they have a chart of all the major regional navies with how many of each type of ship they have. The chapters on the individual large navies have the same chart, but by individual class.

Comment

I've just found where I can download it online, got a sample(28 pages) for free to get a gist of what the book is about.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Is there a print copy?

Comment

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
              Is there a print copy?
              Did you even see the link in the OP or do you just like continuing asking questions with every post like you always do?

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                Thanks

Does it say if era of big naval battles is effectively over ?
                or can it make a comeback?

Comment

Kindle-version: that's a selling point for me. On my wish list.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X