Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACG Scenario - Should the Royal Navy scrap Trident II and their SSBNS?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    ^ Your progress is being monitored.

    Naval vessels require maintenance and refit at periodic intervals. Maybe a Swabbie can interject at this point, but I think the ratio is 4-to-1: over a lifetime, for every four months at sea the ship requires one month in port for repairs, maintenance, etc. 10-20% of the time the RN can only have one CV at sea. Something like 4-8% of the time both CVs will be tied up.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

    Comment


    • #77
      Rather ironic that the strategic defence review still wants Trident, or what's left of it, yet it was happy in 2010 to mothball and then later scrap a second carrier...

      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

      In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
        Rather ironic that the strategic defence review still wants Trident, or what's left of it, yet it was happy in 2010 to mothball and then later scrap a second carrier...
        Trident is a lot more valuable to the UKs defence than a Carrier or even two.

        The way I see it, for the UK a powerful navy would be good for everyone else's peace and security whilst a nuclear deterrent is good for our peace and security,

        Still, its nice to have both.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Gooner View Post

          Trident is a lot more valuable to the UKs defence than a Carrier or even two.

          The way I see it, for the UK a powerful navy would be good for everyone else's peace and security whilst a nuclear deterrent is good for our peace and security,

          Still, its nice to have both.
          You're living in the past. We don't want the RN to Rule The Waves, we just want them to contribute their share. Who is Trident keeping you safe from? France is protecting you from the Slavic hordes and China is too far away. You should just be lucky that the Argies are in terrible shape. The Falklands War redux wouldn't be pretty.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by johns624 View Post

            You're living in the past. We don't want the RN to Rule The Waves, we just want them to contribute their share. Who is Trident keeping you safe from? France is protecting you from the Slavic hordes and China is too far away. You should just be lucky that the Argies are in terrible shape. The Falklands War redux wouldn't be pretty.

            Contribute their share to what exactly?
            Keeping the Sealocs clear from Rushki submarines?

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Gooner View Post


              Contribute their share to what exactly?
              Keeping the Sealocs clear from Rushki submarines?
              Are you referring to that debacle in Scotland some time back when a Russian navy ship put in at several Scottish inlets for nearly a week without so much as a look-see from the RN?
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

              Comment


              • #82
                Are you sure that wasn't Nessie?

                If it wasn't, isn't that a reflection of the RN spending too much time in other peoples waters and not our own?
                I think there things look to get better in the near future too, the UK has 9 P8 Poseidons on order and a bunch of OPVs under construction.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  Back in the 70s I was despatched to resolve some technical issues at HMS Centurion the RN's computer centre in Gosport that handled payroll and personnel systems. At the time they were also having a retention problem because they didn't have enough ships at sea. Most men had signed on to go to sea and not to man a desk in a concrete frigate. In an attempt to resolve this some bright spark devised a system that monitored sea time and switched postings around so everyone got a period at sea. The result was that when a crewman was just becoming a useful and coordinated team member he would be rotated back to a shore job and a new guy with no sea time would replace him. The effect on crew cohesion and efficiency can be imagined.
                  Sheesh ! Who needs U-boats ?
                  Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Gooner View Post
                    Are you sure that wasn't Nessie?

                    If it wasn't, isn't that a reflection of the RN spending too much time in other peoples waters and not our own?
                    I think there things look to get better in the near future too, the UK has 9 P8 Poseidons on order and a bunch of OPVs under construction.
                    Nice that you're finally getting the P8s. How many years have you been without MPAs? OPVs might work against Icelandic fishing trawlers (maybe), but that's about it.
                    PS--How much of British trade comes from the Middle East and Asia? Who do you think should keep those sealanes open?

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by johns624 View Post

                      Nice that you're finally getting the P8s. How many years have you been without MPAs? OPVs might work against Icelandic fishing trawlers (maybe), but that's about it.
                      About 2010/11 the Nimrods were retired. Fair point on the OPVs though the new gen. can carry Merlins, and keeping our fishing grounds free of the rapacious EUers is about to become important.


                      PS--How much of British trade comes from the Middle East and Asia? Who do you think should keep those sealanes open?
                      Well the UK opened HMS Jufair in Bahrain this April.

                      But why should the UK spend its coin keeping the sealanes to Europe open from the Middle East and Asia when other, richer, countries contribute feck all?

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Gooner View Post


                        But why should the UK spend its coin keeping the sealanes to Europe open from the Middle East and Asia when other, richer, countries contribute feck all?
                        Because the RN is the only thing that keeps the UK relevant as a world power? Looking back at British history, the land forces have always been relatively small. It was the RN that projected British power.

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X