Question about rifle ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about rifle ammo

What's that mysterious red ink seen around the perimeter of the bullet where it meets the case?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Waterproofing laquer if I recall correctly.
    The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
    ----
    We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
      Waterproofing laquer if I recall correctly.

Yes, I believe you are correct.

Comment

BTW, that has to be a fairly brand new 7.62 x 39mm M43 BALL. I've never seen one with such a shine on the bullet.
        The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
        ----
        We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Looks more like Wolf 7.62x39 to me. Can be had for $190/case IIRC.
          1. Even if you could make something idiot proof they would just go out and build a better idiot.
          2. The road to hell is paved by a hard working asphalt crew of meddlesome legislators.

Comment

Originally posted by Mini-Me View Post
            Looks more like Wolf 7.62x39 to me. Can be had for $190/case IIRC.
            Whoa! Prices sure have gone up since i have had to part with my AK & SKS.

I bought my SKS & AK back right before Clinton put the ban on them in late 92. A case back then went for like 70 bucks, lol. After the ban and all back logged ammo got bought up in my area the prices went up to like 90 bucks if i remember correctly. I bought my last case and never shot it, i sold it with both guns when i was in dire need of cash about 10 years later.

BTW, whats an SKS & an AK go for nowadays? I paid 80 bucks for for a very nice Chinese SKS. I paid 225 bucks for a equally nice AK, cant remember the country of origin, i think it was eastern european, but not sure.
            http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Originally posted by KGPanzerschrecK View Post
              Whoa! Prices sure have gone up since i have had to part with my AK & SKS.

I bought my SKS & AK back right before Clinton put the ban on them in late 92. A case back then went for like 70 bucks, lol. After the ban and all back logged ammo got bought up in my area the prices went up to like 90 bucks if i remember correctly. I bought my last case and never shot it, i sold it with both guns when i was in dire need of cash about 10 years later.

BTW, whats an SKS & an AK go for nowadays? I paid 80 bucks for for a very nice Chinese SKS. I paid 225 bucks for a equally nice AK, cant remember the country of origin, i think it was eastern european, but not sure.
              190/case is still cheap, but yeah, it ain't 70 bucks.

SKS: Yugos run around $160ish. Norincos $200 to $225. Russians run $300-$400.

AK: Wow. Depends on what you get. WASR-10s can be had for $350ish. Yugos $450ish. Vector Arms models (from Russia off the original tooling IIRC) fetch up to $900 IIRC. Better to get an AR-15 for that price. Saiga makes an AK without the pistol grip that's fairly inexpensive. It's Russian and generally considered to be of good quality.
              1. Even if you could make something idiot proof they would just go out and build a better idiot.
              2. The road to hell is paved by a hard working asphalt crew of meddlesome legislators.

Comment

That's a round by Wolf industries and it's currently in production to satisfy all those people who own semiautomatic AK-47 knock-offs like the Romanian WASR.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                  That's a round by Wolf industries and it's currently in production to satisfy all those people who own semiautomatic AK-47 knock-offs like the Romanian WASR.

Or those that own Saigas chambered in 7.62x39, Yugo AKs, Vectors, SKS's, etc.

I identified the round above.

Comment

Ive always heard wolf was decent ammo, ive never shot it.

The stuff i was buying was East German surplus ammo. The stuff came in Green wooden boxes. It was very good quality.
                    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Originally posted by KGPanzerschrecK View Post
                      Ive always heard wolf was decent ammo, ive never shot it.

The stuff i was buying was East German surplus ammo. The stuff came in Green wooden boxes. It was very good quality.
                      Wolf is not bad. I handload. so I can say the accuracy isn't up to my standards. Still it is accurate enough and relatively inexpensive. It is a bit dirty though. Cleaning after a couple hundred rounds of Wolf 7.62x39mm (especially the black box stuff, military classic is a little cleaner) is not a 10 minute job.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X