Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Firearm Ownership

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • U.S. Firearm Ownership

    From Reuters today - any thoughts? Seems like it has implications for low-intensity conflict for years to come, especially, as the article says, in areas where growing wealth can be expected to drive growing stocks of firearms.



    GENEVA (Aug. 28) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

    U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

    About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

    "There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

    India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

    Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

    On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

    France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

    "Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

    "Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

    The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

    Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

    "Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

    Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.
    "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
    -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

    (Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jon Jordan View Post
    From Reuters today - any thoughts? Seems like it has implications for low-intensity conflict for years to come, especially, as the article says, in areas where growing wealth can be expected to drive growing stocks of firearms.



    GENEVA (Aug. 28) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

    U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

    About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

    "There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

    India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

    Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

    On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

    France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

    "Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

    "Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

    The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

    Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

    "Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

    Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.
    90 guns for every 100 US citizens?! Somebody isn't buying their fair share of firearms.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

    Comment


    • #3
      Looking at the list of countries listed, and considering the relative "peacefulness" in each, it's impossible to make ANY kind of statement that the number of firearms per person has anything to do with anything, except maybe the profit magins of the gun companies. You know, the number of microwave ovens per person is also highly correlated with "rising levels of wealth", among any number of consumer goods. So what's their point? Rising levels of wealth in a nation will tend to obviate much of the drive for "revolution" or "Low intensity conflict".... a rising tide lifts all boats so to speak.

      In the same vein as "Guns don't kill people, People kill people", it doesn't really matter HOW MANY guns per person, it's WHO has the guns and WHAT they do with them.
      Who is more violent- your stereotypical American "Gun-Nut" who has 100 rifles and pistols locked in his home gun safe, or the Iraqi thug with his hand-me-down AK47 who takes potshots at anyone he disagrees with (i.e., American soldiers, Shiites, et. al.)??

      Comment


      • #4
        Something is wrong with those stats. They must include military weopons even though they say they don't. . There is no way you are going to convince me that the gun owning public in the US has so many guns per person that it more than off sets the stats for the majority of people who don't own guns.

        Also, I beilieve it is next to impossible for a civilian to own a gun in Germany yet they list high. They must be counting all guns. Civilian, police, and military.

        In any case, someone is cooking the books here for sure. There is no doubt that the US has a lot of civilian guns, but 90 percent? Come on. I live in Texas yet I know far more people who don't have guns than do. Something is wrong here.
        Last edited by Miss Saigon; 29 Aug 07, 12:13.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post

          Also, I beilieve it is next to impossible for a civilian to own a gun in Germany yet they list high. They must be counting all guns. Civilian, police, and military.
          it is actually quite easy in Germany. Not as easy like in Austria or Switzerland but quite easy
          "Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube"
          (May others wage war, you lucky Austria marry)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
            There is no doubt that the US has a lot of civilian guns, but 90 percent? Come on. I live in Texas yet I know far more people who don't have guns than do. Something is wrong here.
            I'm actually surprised that there is less then one gun per person. Most gun owners have a number of weapons. I personally own a hand full of pistols a shotgun (for home defense) and a couple of rifles. I'm not a hunter and I don't hardly go shooting these days but I still have my eye on a few more guns (and a crossbow ). I guess it's more of a collecting impulse then any sort of need since I also have a couple swords and a whole lot of knives (some of which are worth $100s) and other unsundry weapons.

            One of my motivations for gun ownership, is that I want them in case they suddenly become illegal for some reason. A new president and a new congress might just pull some crap and yank the 2nd ammendment. Guns will be worth a LOT if that happens, not just for selling on the black market, but for protection against a government that is intent on taking away our personal freedoms.

            In big cities on the east coast I ran into people that actually didn't own guns, and some fraction was very anti-gun. However, in almost every case the anti-gun types had never even fired a gun. Fear of things they don't understand is certainly part of their mindset. Taking away rights from others because they don't bother to indulge in those rights is also part of it. This is a common factor in any "anti" mindset, wether it be anti-smoking, anti-porn, anti-abortion, anti-what ever.

            Just because I don't play soccer doesn't make me want to make it illegal. Even though soccer games can lead to rioting and death. It's also amusing to me that even though cars kill far more people each year then guns, and cars are used in more crimes each year then guns, no one ever talks about making cars illegal. That's because everyone has a car and uses it everyday.

            I'm kind of rambling on at this point so I'll stop, but these are a few observations I've made over the years on the "gun ownership" and other liberty related issues.
            Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

            Comment


            • #7
              Hmm

              I certainly believe that to be accurate. In general most gun owners have more than one. If you are a hunter you have many guns.
              .22 for rabbit and squirrel
              Shotguns for Birds like ducks, Turkeys
              Big caliber rifles for deer, bear, Elk.

              Not to mention handguns.

              I think i need to go and buy another gun.

              CD
              "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                Something is wrong with those stats. They must include military weopons even though they say they don't. . There is no way you are going to convince me that the gun owning public in the US has so many guns per person that it more than off sets the stats for the majority of people who don't own guns.

                In any case, someone is cooking the books here for sure. There is no doubt that the US has a lot of civilian guns, but 90 percent? Come on. I live in Texas yet I know far more people who don't have guns than do. Something is wrong here.
                Statistics! If you were to fill a football stadium with absolutely destitute people and Bill Gates walked in and took a seat the mean net worth would be about $100,000, or more.

                'There are three types of lies, lies, damned lies and statistics." Benjamin Disraeli (also attributed to Mark Twain)
                "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." - Albert Einstein

                Comment


                • #9
                  I agree that many gun owners own multiple guns. I have friends that can equip an entire platoon all by oneself. Also, don't forget the closet gun owners. How many people are going to say, "Hey, how was your day? BTW, I have 2 guns."?
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                  Prayers.

                  BoRG

                  http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, given that I associate with gun nuts it does come up and yes, they own more than one, but they are still a minority of people I know. Perhaps in certain areas gun ownership is high but I doubt in urban areas "legal" gun ownership is all that high.

                    Also, what about what I said about Germany? I believe it is next to impossible to own guns in most of Europe.
                    Last edited by Miss Saigon; 29 Aug 07, 22:32.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Skewed stats from a buncha fuzzy rabbit huggers. I could take the same concept and apply it to become "Germany has the highest per capita alchohol consumption rate" of any nation. Or "China has the least number of nukes per capita".

                      And private gun ownership in Mexico is a total pain, if not out of reach of the average citizen: http://www.davekopel.com/Espanol/Mexican-Gun-Laws.htm

                      I think these guys need to do their homework next time before they start massaging the numbers.
                      Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'd be curious if the weapons mentioned in the Scandinavian and some Euro countries included the weapons that reservists are allowed to home store. Ie military weapons, but kept at the reservists house.

                        Originally posted by PirateDrakk
                        One of my motivations for gun ownership, is that I want them in case they suddenly become illegal for some reason. A new president and a new congress might just pull some crap and yank the 2nd ammendment. Guns will be worth a LOT if that happens, not just for selling on the black market, but for protection against a government that is intent on taking away our personal freedoms.
                        Now, not wanting to get into a political debate, but this is an attitude I don't understand - maybe 200 years ago, or even a 100 years ago, but not really relevant now. If the lawfully elected government decides to legally rescind gun ownership, any attempt to "protect your rights" is just going to see you labelled as some nutjob militia type that everyone ignores. The public is just too docile to care.

                        Government say something = bad, the populace goes along with it. You just have to close your eyes and click a random link on these forums to see an example of it.
                        Now listening too;
                        - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov View Post



                          If the lawfully elected government decides to legally rescind gun ownership, any attempt to "protect your rights" is just going to see you labelled as some nutjob militia type that everyone ignores. The public is just too docile to care.

                          Government say something = bad, the populace goes along with it. You just have to close your eyes and click a random link on these forums to see an example of it.
                          The lawfully elected gov't cannot simply decide to rescind gun ownership here in the States.Seeing that it is the 2d Amendment to the Constitution it would have to go through the amendment process to rescind it.
                          If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Scout32 View Post
                            The lawfully elected gov't cannot simply decide to rescind gun ownership here in the States.Seeing that it is the 2d Amendment to the Constitution it would have to go through the amendment process to rescind it.
                            which would be the "legally" part of

                            Originally posted by me
                            If the lawfully elected government decides to legally rescind gun ownership
                            Now listening too;
                            - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ain't gonna happen anytime soon, though if it does, Washington is gonna find about 49 states seceding from the union.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X