ground crater size data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ground crater size data?

hi, it's a people here, we know, we i can found data of ground penetration of different shell caliber, so as here? http://winterwar.com/Weapons/artyinf...Artyprojectile

but, here is just give 4 exemple, 76mm to 152mm!
    and i search more information, over different typ bomb, and shell of other artillery caliber!

so as 50mm mortar shell, 81mm, 380mm, etc...

or it exist a calculation method, to provide this data?

because, i need this information, to can create shell hole picture for a game!

In the fall of '69 my camp was being used as a NVA artillery training aid.
    We would get a hundred rounds or more a day of various calibers.
    They even used 107 RRs indirectly.
    The powers that be countered with a new device called a counter mortar radar.
    They set this thing up and sandbagged around it and turned it on.
    The concept was to track incoming rounds and relay this to guns which would fire on the source.
    The biggest problem was that it only had about a 15 degree arc where it could detect anything. It pretty much had to be looking in the right direction at the right time.
    Being somewhat experimental, there were a lot of things to be tested.
    The damndest thing was two guys with a chain affair like in football whose job was to rush out and measure smoking craters and try to live long enough to report their findings and go again. A good candidate for "Dirtiest Jobs"
    They were inputting information which would be what you want, but I have no idea where you would find it.
    Impact areas would have different craters depending on the type of ground.
    This affair lasted about a week before a 120 eliminated it.
    Life in an impact area sucks beyond belief. You never knew if there would be one round or 50 or more. Really messes with your head.
    You can't hear mortars coming and they generally got somebody with the first round or two. Other times they would hit a bunker or trench where folks were sheltering. Sometimes they would shift over to the village and kill a bunch of women and kids for laughs.
    It got to be the safest place was in the jungle on operation.

Comment

hi mike, yes , but here i don't understant!
      here this, don't can me helped, because, here is don't speek over shell hole, or calculation method to can find crater diameter of shell amunition!

because, excuse me, if you have miss understand my asking question, but i search data of shell hole diameter and ground penetration, we make a explosion on ground, and this by different amunition caliber!

Comment

Holy cow, use an English speaking friend to proof read please.

Comment

Use Google . . .

Originally posted by leclerc1944 View Post
          hi mike, yes , but here i don't understant!
          here this, don't can me helped, because, here is don't speek over shell hole, or calculation method to can find crater diameter of shell amunition!

because, excuse me, if you have miss understand my asking question, but i search data of shell hole diameter and ground penetration, we make a explosion on ground, and this by different amunition caliber!
          "crater analysis" got me 760 hits and the first three look like the manuals you will need. Unfortunately for you the WWII versions of these books are certainly long out of print. If you want accurate WWII data you will probably have to find a very large public or university library that has historical records going back that far.

You might also post this question in the WWII section and see what they say.

Have you tried the French Army? Someone at the artillery school might have an historical reference you can use.
          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
            Berlin.1945
            by casanova
            The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
            Yesterday, 23:41
          • casanova
            AW 169M
            by casanova
            The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
            Yesterday, 23:26
          • JBark
            What changed?
            by JBark
            There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
            Yesterday, 18:54
          Working...
          X