Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Israel to Buy Advanced Patriot Missiles

I wonder why?

I thought that they already field the Arrow SAM which is claimed to be similarly capable.
    Report: Israel to Buy Advanced Patriot Missiles
    By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, JERUSALEM
    DefenseNews

The Israeli air force will buy advanced U.S.-made missiles, capable of intercepting aircraft and long-range ballistic missiles, to upgrade its current air defense system, a report said on Thursday.

The Patriot PAC-3 missiles, which will replace the PAC-2 currently in use, is capable of intercepting missiles possessed by foe Syria, the Ynet news Web site said, citing unnamed sources.

There was no immediate comment from the defence ministry.

The PAC-3 missile is made to intercept ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and aircraft, according to the Web site of its manufacturer, Lockheed Martin.

The missile, weighing 320 kilograms (700 pounds), increases the firepower of the Patriot battery, as 16 of them fit on a Patriot launcher, compared with four PAC-2s, it said.

Israel first deployed the Patriot system in 1991, when then Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein fired Scuds on the country during the first Gulf War.
    ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
    2) Enjoy playing it
    3) Enjoy sharing it
    4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Eye Ran

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
    I wonder why?

I thought that they already field the Arrow SAM which is claimed to be similarly capable.
    Hmmm, I wonder why the Israeli's need the PAC-3? I think I may have heard from a friend's, cousin's, grandfather's, aunt's greatgrandchild's husband that some country near the middle east wanted to "Make things hot" in Israel.

Na, nobody like that over there. They are all just cheecky funloving people over there.

Comment

I take a guess . . .

Israel developed the Arrow to deal with SSMs like the SCUD so I'm going to guess that they are building enough Arrow systems to handle the threat from that class of missile plus what they think the Iranians might have up their sleeves. That becomes their strategic defense.

PAC3 does not seem to be as large and is being mass produced for the US and its allies. It should be cheaper to procure and operate than the Arrow and if my guess is correct, somewhat less capable. IIRC the largest & longest range rockets Hezbollah has a big enough to make intercepting them both feasible and worth the effort if their track is taking them toward a populated area.

Are they doing anything else in the air/missile defense arena that ties these stories together?
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Yeah i would tend to agree there, as i believe that the only Arrow batteries are located near Tel Aviv and south of Haifa. the PAC-3 is a very capable system , and is proberbly deployed by the Isaraelis as a means to cover those areas of the country that are missed by the Arrows batteries. The Patriot also employs a hit to kill system , as opposed to the proximity fuses used on the Arrows. Maybe they act as insurance against the other system failing.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerVI67 View Post
          Hmmm, I wonder why the Israeli's need the PAC-3? I think I may have heard from a friend's, cousin's, grandfather's, aunt's greatgrandchild's husband that some country near the middle east wanted to "Make things hot" in Israel.

Na, nobody like that over there. They are all just cheecky funloving people over there.
          Because a significant portion of their aid package must be spent on American weapons.

Ya know, I give you money..you buy my crap.
          Last edited by Crash; 25 Aug 07, 00:37.
          #occupyarmchairgeneral.
          Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
          Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
            Because a significant portion of their aid package must be spent on American weapons.

Ya know, I give you money..you by my crap.
            good point Crash, the Israeli Arrow ABM program was funded with significat American funds, so it stands to reason that some kind of " agreement " would have been reached between the two. However as a straight military purchase, it is a great buy, considering Isreals unique needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post

Ya know, I give you money..you buy my crap.
              You convinced me, there is no reason why Israel needs a defense against nuclear tipped missiles. This is just one big "Military Industrial Complex" scheme to keep the Middle East in turmoil and line the pockets of "Big Military" and Haliburton. Yup, you convinced me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X