Worst Weapons of WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Weapons of WW2

Which WW2 weapon in your opinion was nothing but a waste of manufacturing resources?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

hmm

silly, resource consuming projects of ww2:

1.the holocaust

then, in no particular order, with hindsight:

-Tiger Tank
    -King Tiger Tank
    -Jagdtiger tank and all variants on Tiger chassis
    -Maus Tank
    -luftwaffe divisions
    -most of Lufwaffe fighters except Me109, FW190 and Me262
    -lufwaffe strategic bombers
    -Yamato-class battleships (any battleship, really)
    -Maginot line
    -Atlantic Wall
    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Interesting choices.

My pick would be the Kriegsmarine surface fleet. While they kept the attention of a large number of British naval and air forces for a while, had the Germans invested those same resources in to U-Boats the war might have gone differently... but that's dipping in to the realm of what-ifs.

Comment

Good points in the above posts. On a lesser scale, the Krummlauf could compete in this category.

Comment

all V-weapon projects

Hitler
          "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
            Good points in the above posts. On a lesser scale, the Krummlauf could compete in this category.
            What is that?
            Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
              What is that?
              If I understand well the concept, a device adaptable to the StG44 and designed to allow for firing at angles, without the bearer of the rifle being exposed (there were models with the ad hoc aiming device too).
              Last edited by nemo; 20 Jul 04, 07:51. Reason: Typography

Comment

I think it comes pretty handy in urban warfare were you want to spray&pray into a room without exposing yourself. Same as tossing grenades blindly into a room just in case any nasty surprises are waiting for you.
                "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

My vote goes to the German huge caliber railway artillery pieces, they were huge, not many were available, they were rarely able to get into battle, although granted they assisted in the invasion of Russia, they didnt do much else but smash big holes in the ground, plus with a low ROF and poor accuracy, I can only see this weapon being effective in the role of suppression or smashing tough fortifications.

The loco's which the guns used could have been to better use supplying the German front line, and the resources used to make one of these things could make a reasonoble number of field artillery pieces, which would be better than one slow firing artillery piece, despite the large caliber and the massive destructive power of the shell. Granted a very clever piece of engineering and inginuity, but still they could have done better

I apologise for my view on this weapon Dicke, but im just showing my honest opinion
                  Last edited by switch_back; 20 Jul 04, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by switch_back
                    My vote goes to the German huge caliber railway artillery pieces, they were huge, not many were available, they were rarely able to get into battle, although granted they assisted in the invasion of Russia, they didnt do much else, plus with a low ROF and poor accuracy, just a big waste of metal and locomotive engines in my opinion.

The loco's which the guns used could have been to better use supplying the German front line, and the resources used to make one of these things could make a reasonoble number of field artillery pieces, which would be better than one lumbering pile of crap. Granted a very clever piece of engineering and inginuity, but still they could have done better
                    Oh no! You better edit this statement before Dicke sees it.
                    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Whys that Temujin? does he like this weapon I take it?

Comment

Whys that Temujin? does he like this weapon I take it?
                        They don't call him Dicke Bertha for nothin

Comment

Hmmmm ok, i'll edit that post to not sound so harsh if I can, but i'll still stick to my original opinion

Thanks for the warning mate!

Comment

I'd like to cast a vote for the Bolton Paul Defiant, a dogfighter that didn't have any armament pointing forward. The turret could shoot into the front hemisphere aiming very high, but it was almost impossible for the gunner to catch the target in the split second of time available. The pilot had no weapons to fire whatsoever.

After a short and unimpressive second life as a night fighter, the Defiant ended up towing aerial gunnery sleeves. So much for a fighter designed to revolutionize "pursuit aviation".

Makes you wonder what the creator of the plane was thinking.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                            --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

My vote goes to the German huge caliber railway artillery pieces, they were huge, not many were available, they were rarely able to get into battle, although granted they assisted in the invasion of Russia, they didnt do much else but smash big holes in the ground, plus with a low ROF and poor accuracy, I can only see this weapon being effective in the role of suppression or smashing tough fortifications.

The loco's which the guns used could have been to better use supplying the German front line, and the resources used to make one of these things could make a reasonoble number of field artillery pieces, which would be better than one slow firing artillery piece, despite the large caliber and the massive destructive power of the shell. Granted a very clever piece of engineering and inginuity, but still they could have done better

I apologise for my view on this weapon Dicke, but im just showing my honest opinion
                              I second the vote on this one. Seems like a lot of war materiel to little overall effect. Still, the 80cm Dora did do an impressive number on some fortifications:

[link]
                              http://www.aopt91.dsl.pipex.com/rail...ra%20index.htm
                              [/link]
                              "...patriotism is a word; and one that generally comes to mean either my country right or wrong, which is infamous, or my country is always right, which is imbecile."
                              O'Brian, Patrick. Master and Commander, 1970.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X