8. M14
    7. STEYR AUG
    6. MAUSER K98k CARBINE
    5. LEE-ENFIELD SMLE
    4. M1 GARAND
    3. FN FAL
    2. M16
    1. AK-47
    under what conditions do u rate? how famous they are how much used how good or groundbreaking the technology is or what else?

for example
    if u go for technology the Stg44 should be 1
    if u go for how much used AK-47 is ok but the Mauser should be second.

The Stg-77 or Steyer AUG is far superior to the M16 or the AK-47 but not so well known, not so much used and not so famous.
    "Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube"
    (May others wage war, you lucky Austria marry)

Comment

I'd place the Lee-Enfield and the 98K much higher on the list.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I think I had a thread like this somewhere in this forum section.
        "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

If the criteria is technology/groundbreaking (a/k/a "What I'd like to have in a given historical war") I'd think you'd include the Ferguson Rifle, and maybe the BAR.
          "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
          -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Jim,

I think your list is just about all 20th Century Rifles. I would say the Tower Musket (Brown Bess) or the French equivalent (can't remember the name) would qualify on any all time best list. If you want to limit the list to rifled firearms, then you should consider the Kentucky Rifle, the Ferguson Rifle or the Baker Rifle. Some country's did use the Winchester to good effect (Turkey for one). I would question the selection of the 1903 Springfield and M-14 on your list. The 1903 is a Mauser derivative and the M-14 had a mixed history. I also do not see a 1891 Moisin Nagan or an SKS on your list. Thank God you did not put an M-1 Carbine, though...

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              Jim,

I think your list is just about all 20th Century Rifles. I would say the Tower Musket (Brown Bess) or the French equivalent (can't remember the name) would qualify on any all time best list. If you want to limit the list to rifled firearms, then you should consider the Kentucky Rifle, the Ferguson Rifle or the Baker Rifle. Some country's did use the Winchester to good effect (Turkey for one). I would question the selection of the 1903 Springfield and M-14 on your list. The 1903 is a Mauser derivative and the M-14 had a mixed history. I also do not see a 1891 Moisin Nagan or an SKS on your list. Thank God you did not put an M-1 Carbine, though...

Pruitt
              The contemporary of the Brown Bess for the French was the Charleville Musket. The Americans made their own version, the Springfield Model 1795.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritzthemoose View Post
                under what conditions do u rate? how famous they are how much used how good or groundbreaking the technology is or what else?

for example
                if u go for technology the Stg44 should be 1
                if u go for how much used AK-47 is ok but the Mauser should be second.

The Stg-77 or Steyer AUG is far superior to the M16 or the AK-47 but not so well known, not so much used and not so famous.
                Click on the link.
                I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Freightshaker, I'd also put the Lee-Enfield and 98K much higher on the list, I'd also add the MG-42/FG-42.
                  "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

I think your list is just about all 20th Century Rifles.
                    Not my list. Click on the link!
                    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Granted...

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
                      Not my list. Click on the link!
                      Jim,

It may not be your list, but that does not mean the title is not flawed. "Of All Time" includes the periods of the past. I would say that if they were looking for innovation, the Ferguson Rifle (the best breechloader I have seen until the Civil War) is the most glaring weapon missing.

I don't mind you presenting someone else's list, but at least label it as such. My first reaction was that some teenager is at it again...

Pruitt

Comment

G3, what about the G3?

Comment

Chicago Typewriter. Few guns have had the impact on American culture as that one. Of course it is the Police version with the barrel magazine that is the cultural Icon, but Dick winters and his crew jumped into France with the Military version. It is a very heavy rifle, I can barely lift one. I would have thought they would have found something lighter for the Airborne.

Comment

Missy,

The Thompson is in another classification, that of Submachnegun. Military rifles usually have long barrels and until the last 50 years, were slow firing. Military Small arms are usually divided into Pistols, Rifles, Carbines and Submachineguns. The next class is formed by Automatic rifles (BAR most well known) and crew served Machineguns. Machineguns can be divided into light (with bipods) and Medium/Heavy with tripods. Automatic rifles and MGs also have a heavier type barrel to handle high temperatures in the barrel. The best ones have a quick change feature.

Pistols and Submachineguns fire a pistol round that is normally easy to control. The Rifles and MGs fire a full size rifle cartridge.

Assault weapons are a type of automatic Carbine and fire mid size rifle type cartridges. Carbines are either cut down rifles (short barrels) or fire a large pistol type round (M-1 Carbine fires a 30/30 type cartridge).

Pruitt

Comment

Missy,

The Thompson is in another classification, that of Submachine.
                              Fine. I am not an expert on military weaponry to say the least, so I will defer to your judgment. However, I fail to see the difference in category between a Thompson and an AK-47 or G3

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X