Illegal Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal Weapons

What weapons are considered internationally illegal today?

I'm searching for a list of "illegal weapons" or weapons made illegal by the UN or whoever that might be. I've been looking for a site that has compiled them, but no luck. I thought I'd ask here, as some of you seem to know sites I would never find on my own. Preferably the site should have the actual treaty in a PDF or something (doesn't have to).

You can drop a nuclear weapon on somebody/something but you cant drop a nu****n bomb on things or people...I guess its ok to blow everything to hell but you cant have the buildings still standing and the people all dead.

Wer'nt cluster bombs supposed to be on the " can't use list" and land mines supposed to be a no-no ....trenchfighting shot guns were declared illegal at one stage in WW1...Gas and Nerve gas are supposed to be no-no,s and also napalm...but it all depends on who is using them on what.

Hey! one of our so called intelligent politicians here in Canada want to make hand guns illegal...of course all the gangbangers will line up to hand theirs in

Keep on searching

per ardua ad astra

Comment

Not sure there is an "international law"

Generally these things are handled by treaties. Signatories to the treaty pledge not to either make or trade in certain weapons or systems. For instance the US doesn't sell land mines anymore but won't sign the treaty banning them because it doesn't want to spend a billion dollars demining the Korean DMZ [and doesn't trust lil' Kim anyway].

Try checking the State Department website. They are supposed to make those things a matter of public record. [When they get around to it anyway.]
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

It varies a bit from nation to nation, but generally land mines, flamethrowers and expanding bullets, aka "dum-dums", enhanced radiation weapons - the neutron bomb - and quite possible poinson gases and bacteriological warfare weapons.

I don't think nuclear weapons are, however. The intent of the current treaties is to limit thier numbers rather than declare them illegal.

Comment

Wikipedia has a few articles on the subject. Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convent...tional_Weapons
          Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

For private use i say a B-52,Nukes and Flame thorers

Comment

I know that Phosphorus grenades ae illegal to use in combat. (mandate by UN)

Some cases in South Africa where it has been done anyway.
              "The Objective in war is not to die for your country, but to make the other (guy) die for his." - PATTON
              "If Emily Post doesn't work, try Sigmund Freud." - Hogan

Comment

I think there were calls to outlaw fuel air bombs after the Russians used them in Grozny.

Comment

miny guns are outlawed inmost places... right

Comment

arn't hollow point bullets illegal, and I think certain types of bombs are illegal. I know Norway is trying to make cluster bombs illegal
                    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.
                    Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Hollow point shells

Chemical/biological weapons

White Phosphorous as an incendiary round (US uses it for illumination)

napalm (Sticks to kids)
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

It depends on the situation. Its illegal for soldiers to use CS gas to drive enemy soldiers out of a bunker but its fine for the same soldiers to use CS gas on rioters (thats 'policing' not war). Likewise White phosporous is illegal to use as an incenduary weapon but its fine to drop it on enemy soldiers if you claim you're doing it to lay a smoke screen.

Basically you can get away with a lot as long as you're on the winning side and know how to work the laws!

Comment

Use of certain weapons is illegal only in a contextual sense

WP shells are legal for creating Smoke on an battlefield but proscribed from use in built-up or populated areas...which still didn't stop Isreal from using them in a populated area...
                          BoRG
                          "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by peter_sym View Post
                            It depends on the situation. Its illegal for soldiers to use CS gas to drive enemy soldiers out of a bunker but its fine for the same soldiers to use CS gas on rioters (thats 'policing' not war). Likewise White phosporous is illegal to use as an incenduary weapon but its fine to drop it on enemy soldiers if you claim you're doing it to lay a smoke screen.

Basically you can get away with a lot as long as you're on the winning side and know how to work the laws!
                            Exactly! or if the international community is too weak to punish you for the illegal use
                            Last edited by Arthwys; 26 Mar 09, 10:14. Reason: spelling
                            BoRG
                            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                              Prawn heads
                              by Karri
                              How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                              Today, 11:40
                            • Jose50
                              Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                              by Jose50
                              Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                              Today, 08:41
                            • Von Richter
                              Sagittarius Rising...
                              by Von Richter
                              Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                              Today, 01:19
                            Working...
                            X