Best gun setup on a fighter WW 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best gun setup on a fighter WW 1

Prop jobs that is. Including P-38, excluding ME 110. Single engine, except for 38. Them's the parameters.

Top contenders for me...( not neccessarily in this order),

D-12.( same as TA 152).
    P-38.
    Greyhound? Italy. 3 20 mm, 2 machine gun, ( not sure this one saw action)
    KI 84. late version wit 2 30 mm
    Temp. 4 20 mm
    190. 4 20, 2 13 mm machine gun

109 with gunpods no doubt were nasty, but for parameters sake, let's stick with non bolt on stuff, and or rockets, natural gases or other exotic weaponry.

Shouldn't That Read?????

Best Gun Setup of a Fighter in World War II?????

In World War I, it would have been the Twin German Spandau's firing through the Propellers.

In World War II, there could have been only 1, 2 at the most.

(1) Northrop P-61A, B (or) C Black Widow

4 - 20mm Fixed Forward Firing Cannons in The Underside of The Forward Fuselage & 4 - .50 Calibre Trainable Machine Guns in a Remotely Controlled Dorsal Barbette.

(2) Not a Fighter, But A Close Runner Up would have been The Flying Porcupine Itself, The Short Sunderland Mks II - V w/14 Machine Guns.

2 - 0.303" Inch Machine Guns in The Bow Turret, 4 - 0.303" Inch Machine Guns on The Sides of The Bow (2 Per Side), 2 - 0.303" Inch Machine Guns in The Dorsal Turret, 4 - 0.303" Inch Machine Guns in The Tail Turret & 1 - 0.50 Calibre Machine Gun in Each Beam Position.

Comment

Rolland C11 for sneakiness or any kite with a twin deck gun.
      Winnie says
      ---------------------------------
      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
      Herr Flick.

Comment

Messerschmitt 262 - Four 30mm cannons with 100 rounds in the upper pair and 80 rounds in the lower.

Focke Wulf 190 - 4 20mm cannons and 2 13mm machine guns.

P47 Thunderbolt - 8 .50in machine guns.

De Haviland Mosquito - 4 .303's and 4 20mm cannons.
        Hitler played Golf. His bunker shot was a hole in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sign&Print Name View Post
          Messerschmitt 262 - Four 30mm cannons with 100 rounds in the upper pair and 80 rounds in the lower.

Focke Wulf 190 - 4 20mm cannons and 2 13mm machine guns.

P47 Thunderbolt - 8 .50in machine guns.

De Haviland Mosquito - 4 .303's and 4 20mm cannons.
          i agree with the mosquito

FB Mark VI
          Specifications

Fighter-bomber.Twin-engine, mid-wing cantilever stressed-skin wooden monoplane.

Crew
          Pilot; Navigator/Wireless Operator

Engines
          2xRolls-Royce Merlin 25 V12 engines of 1,635hp, two-speed supercharging, 100 octane or 150 grade fuel, maximum boost +18lb in M gear on take-off, 5 minute combat limit +25lb boost with 150 grade fuel in M or S gear.

Armament
          4x20mm cannon and 4x.303in Browning machine guns, fuselage mounted.
          2x500lb bombs internally. External load: 8xrocket projectiles (25lb AP or semi-AP, or 60lb HE), or 2x500lb bombs.

Weights
          Empty, variously quoted and depending on “fit”: 14,300lb
          All-up, variously quoted as above: 20,500lb
          Overload (maximum take-off): 22,000lb

Range
          1,200 miles (at 220mph up to 20,000ft), duration 7 hours
          Internal fuel capacity 453 gallons: 50 gallon internal tank, 2x143 gallon inner-wing tanks, 2x58 gallon outer wing tanks.

Stalling speed Flaps & undercarriage up: 130mph. Flaps and undercarriage down: 110mph

Safety speed 200mph (and initial climb speed). Max rate of climb speed 170mph

Approach 125mph

Maximum speed Variously quoted 380mph at 13,000ft
          Vne (without external stores) 425mph (with 8x60lb RP) 400mph
          Confucius he say, war not determine who's right. War determine who's left

Comment

Well, I did say single engined,( prop jobs), except P-38. & yah, meant WW 2. Was around 4 am when I tossed this in.

Comment

I like the P-38, twin engines with 5 guns in the nose. No need to predict where you want the guns to converge, just point the nose and you get deadly firepower in a small area. With wing guns you have to aim them to hit a certain convergent area a certain distance ahead of the craft. If you get it wrong you have to get in a certain position again. Also less work for the armorers.

KISS!

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

For World War I: Bristol F2B (Brisfit) with 2 .303 guns firing ahead and 2 .303 guns for the observer/gunner and flies like a fighter plane. In my humble opinion; a vastly under-rated plane of the Great War.

For World War II? I dunno, there is a lot of packages I really like. Mossie, P-38, P-47.
                Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X