Arsenal in the Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsenal in the Hood

The south side of Chicago is crawling with so many WWII weapons (tanks and artillery pieces) made into roadside monuments there's enough to equip a small task force sufficient to repel the dreaded Canadian invasion we've discussed in another thread. I'm starting a new photo documentary series called "Arsenal in the Hood". I will start my photo shoot on Sunday. All kinds of things are here; Stuart tanks, Pershing tanks, 6-pounder AT guns, 76mm AT guns, even some mysterious WWI monsters.

Of course the grand prize is the U-boat type IX at Chicago's Museum of Science of Industry; I don't know when I'll have a chance to get there though.

I'll be back to continue the thread.
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 10 Aug 07, 22:14.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I keep thinking of all the airplanes that the Air Force and Navy have placed at various VFWs and American Legion Halls across the country.

Yes, I have been to the sub at the Museum of Science and Industry and it was very nice.
    "The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
      The south side of Chicago is crawling with so many WWII weapons (tanks and artillery pieces) made into roadside monuments there's enough to equip a small task force sufficient to repel the dreaded Canadian invasion we've discussed in another thread. I'm starting a new photo documentary series called "Arsenal in the Hood". I will start my photo shoot on Sunday. All kinds of things are here; Stuart tanks, Pershing tanks, 6-pounder AT guns, 76mm AT guns, even some mysterious WWI monsters.

Of course the grand prize is the U-boat type IX at Chicago's Museum of Science of Industry; I don't know when I'll have a chance to get there though.

I'll be back to continue the thread.
      Hey!

When did the M of Sci & Ind get a U-boat? I haven't seen that one - and I'm heading up there to take the new grand daughter to see my folks a few times this fall... I'll have to check it out...

S&I - That's the one on the S side - not far from Comisk...US Cellu... What ever the hell they're calling it these days!?!
      CPT T
      Field Artillery
      BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
      FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Originally posted by Redleg155 View Post
        When did the M of Sci & Ind get a U-boat? I haven't seen that one - and I'm heading up there to take the new grand daughter to see my folks a few times this fall... I'll have to check it out...
        It's the U-505, and it's been there as long as I can remember (20+ years). Very cool to do the walkthrough tour.

http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/index.html
        "I am not an atomic playboy."
        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

You know what - It's been a little while since I've been there - but I would remember walking through a U-boat! I do recall the 727, luner modules and a few others... I think when I go back to visit... I'm going to have to take advantage of the free admission for military - Which I will say Chicago is a miltary city - for the most part...

but anyway - thanks for the heads-up... Gunna git me sum learnin'!
          CPT T
          Field Artillery
          BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
          FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X