XM8 in action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM8 in action

From the Army Times, a video feed showing the XM8 with a drum 100-round magazine... I like the detached and business-like attitude of the Heckler & Koch manager.

So this looks nice...
    "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
    which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
    The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
    returned to its home base."

Comment

Is it called "XM8 Turbanator" or just XM8?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Anyway, here are several variants of this modular weapon

Comment

Looks good, can't wait for the "Road Rage" model to come out.

Comment

I thought this was the XM8???

???
            Attached Files
            Better to be judged by twelve
            then carried by six.

Comment

quite different indeed
              looking forward to the new version of toaw

Comment

U.S. military designation system allows for cross-naming in some cases (in particular with numerals from 1 to 10) :
                • M2 : Bradley IFV and .50 machine gun
                • XM8 : experimental light tank and experimental squad rifle
                There may be a couple more of those...

Comment

I like yours better nemo.

Comment

It is interesting that the American designer did not go for the highly popular bullpup design but from engineering point of view it would have made the modular concept more difficult, I think. In terms of adding and removing components such as new barrels, new stocks, etc., the classic layout seems to work really well.

I wish for several hundred thousand of those babies in the hands of our troops pronto, especially in Iraq. I assume the government is moving ahead quickly.
                    Last edited by MonsterZero; 17 Jun 04, 10:26.

Comment

it's just a tarted up G36.

considering the M4A1 SOPMOD does the same thing...seems waste of money...

as for bullpup...well, Steyr's AUGs are certainly modifiable enough, and they're bullpup, especially the A2s coming out with the additional Piactinny rails. The reason that the Infantry School advocated a non-bullpup solution was to lessen the acclimatisation period for the introduction of a new weapon.

But seriously, the AR-15 family is well established, and this new rifle doesn't add any new capabilties. It's no XM307, no ammo modularity, and no "smart" munitons. Why bothr getting these when yu have an established family or proven rifles?
                      Now listening too;
                      - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov
                        it's just a tarted up G36.

considering the M4A1 SOPMOD does the same thing...seems waste of money...

as for bullpup...well, Steyr's AUGs are certainly modifiable enough, and they're bullpup, especially the A2s coming out with the additional Piactinny rails. The reason that the Infantry School advocated a non-bullpup solution was to lessen the acclimatisation period for the introduction of a new weapon.

But seriously, the AR-15 family is well established, and this new rifle doesn't add any new capabilties. It's no XM307, no ammo modularity, and no "smart" munitons. Why bothr getting these when yu have an established family or proven rifles?
                        Well the M1 Garand is also a proven rifle and I think you don't want to issue it to all combat troops, do you?
                        "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
                        which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
                        The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
                        returned to its home base."

Comment

I would guess that the bullpup design would also conflict with the XM29 grenade launcher attachment that's been in RnD, since that is bullpup as well. I thought that the XM8 was the independent rifle part of the OICW program and that the attached 20mm grenade launcher was still being worked on. The grenade launcher that they show in the diagram looks like an HK 40mm model.
                          "...patriotism is a word; and one that generally comes to mean either my country right or wrong, which is infamous, or my country is always right, which is imbecile."
                          O'Brian, Patrick. Master and Commander, 1970.

Comment

The XM8 faces four more hurdles but all reports so far are positive - however the Army is only going to purchase enough to equip two Units of Action (~8000 troops) next fiscal year.

More important (and worthy imo) is the deltoid extension for the IBA - 50,000 sets this fiscal year and the rest of CENTCOM equipped next year.
                            Now listening too;
                            - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

We are all gonna die alot more efficiently now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X