Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argintine Main Battle Tank

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what Argentina was using as its MBT at the time of the 1982 Falklands War. From what I have been able to find out is seems it might have been the venerable Sherman.

cheers

Gary
    Last edited by Gary; 29 May 04, 09:41.
    Lead Developer for ProSIMS Company's The Falklands War 1982

According to one listing, the Argentinians had 96 Shermans (many of them mounting the 17 pdr) as of 1990. In 1975, they were fielding prototypes of their TAM tank (based on the hull of the German Marder IFV, and mounting a 105mm gun). I can't determine how many of either was around in 1982.

Here are the specs for the TAM:

TAM Tanque Argentino Mediano

The TAM (Tanque Argentino Mediano, Argentine Medium Tank) is a the 40 tons class tank based on the German Marder 1 IFV. Principle differences include different powerpacks and slightly heavier armor for the tank version. The TAM and the IFV version, the VCTP (Vehiculo de Combate Transporte de Personal , combat vehicle personnel transport) were shown as prototypes in the mid-1970s. They are the standard equipment of the Argentine army mechanised units. A family of derivative vehicles in various stages of development included the VCPM mortar carrier, VCRC recovery vehicle, VCTC command vehicle, VCLC rocket launcher, and a self-propelled howitzer carrying a local version of the italian Palmaria gun.

The first few TAM's were equiped with the locally produced variant of the L7A1. Later vehicles were armed with the Rheinmetall LTA2, and the last produced vehicles were equiped with a locally produced modified version of the French CN-105-57, produced in the TAMSE military factory of Rio Tercero, in Cordoba province.

ARMORED VEHICLES TAM
    Main Armament (caliber, model) 105-mm Rheinmetall Gun
    Ammunition type APFSDS-T, HEAT-T, HESH, HE, HEP-T, Canister, Smoke, Illum
    Range, effective (m)
    Stabilized vertical only
    Elevation/traverse (degrees) -7/+18 360
    Penetration (mm @ m range)
    Basic load 50 rds
    Secondary Armament 7.62-mm coax MG
    Ammunition type SLAP, Ball
    Basic load 1200 rds
    Auxiliary Armament 7.62-mm AAMG
    Ammunition type SLAP, Ball
    Vehicle characteristics
    Night sights
    Gunner LLLTV
    Driver LLLTV
    Speed, road/off-road (kph) 75/
    Range, road/off-road (km) 1000 (w/tanks) 550/
    Trench Xng (width)/Step( height m) 2.1/2.90
    Grade x side slope (degrees) (60%)
    Ground clearance (mm) .44
    Fording (m) 1.5 (w/o prep) /2.25 (prep) / 4 (snorkel)
    Weight (mt) 30.5 (combat)
    Dimensions (LxWxH m w/o gun) 6.78x3.12x2.42
    NBC protection Yes
    Crew 4
    Night Firing Sights PZB-200

Comment

TAM (Tanque Argentino Mediano)MBT
      -in service with Argentina (376 MBT)
      -level of protection is only that of an AIFV. Relatively high firepower. Good mobility. Since other versions were adopted, the Argentine Army has a high level of standardization.

source: "Tanks of the world"
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...358779-4650253

Comment

Mix of Shermans and TAMS, as mentioned above. They also had a hundred or so AMX-13 light tanks with 105mm guns and a similar number of SK-105 Kurassier tank destroyers.

However, if you're asking what Argentine tanks took part in the Falklands war, well, I don't think there were any. To the best of my knowledge, the only armor involved was a troop of maybe a dozen Argentine Panhard armored cars, and a troop of 16 British Scimitars/Scorpions.

--- Kevin
        Last edited by kbluck; 30 May 04, 00:28.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back guys. It has confirmed what I had expected.

KB you are quite right no mbt's were deployed to the falklands. The only armour depolyed by the Brits were four scorpions and four scimitars. Deployed as two troops each consiting of two scorpions and two scimitars manned by the Blues and Royals. Also deployed was one Samson ARV. The Argentines deployed Panhard AML 90 Armoured Cars.

One of the scenarios for the Falklands War 1982 is going to be a "What If" the Brits had sent Chieftain MBT's to the islands and the Argentines had sent Sherman MBT's. I know the ground is not suitable for MBT operations but I still think it will make an interesting scenario. It was thought that the ground would be unsuitable for the Scorpions & Scimitars but they handled the terrain much better than expected.

Again thanks everyone for your help.

cheers

Gary
          Lead Developer for ProSIMS Company's The Falklands War 1982

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
            Berlin.1945
            by casanova
            The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
            Yesterday, 23:41
          • casanova
            AW 169M
            by casanova
            The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
            Yesterday, 23:26
          • JBark
            What changed?
            by JBark
            There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
            Yesterday, 18:54
          Working...
          X