Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Name that Artillery piece

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't know the 17cm had the same system, I thought that barrel had too much of a taper to be a 21cm gun....

Performance-wise, how did those guns compare to the US Long Tom and 203mm guns?
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
      I didn't know the 17cm had the same system, I thought that barrel had too much of a taper to be a 21cm gun....

Performance-wise, how did those guns compare to the US Long Tom and 203mm guns?
      21 cm Kanone 38: 34 km

17cm Kannone 18: 29.5 km

I55mm Long tom: 23.2 km

M115 203 mm howitzer: 16.9 km

8 inch M1: 32 Km

Paul
      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 05 Feb 09, 16:04. Reason: update data
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• The 17cm Kanone's range of 29,600 meters outdistanced the US Long Tom at 23,500 meters and was the longest ranged field artillery piece in europe until the arrival of the US 8in Gun M1 with a range of 32,300 meters. However this is still otranged by the 21cm Kanone 38 at 33,900 meters. the German guns had a greater degree of traverse and could have fired faster due to their horizontal sliding breeches against the the interrupted screw used by the american guns. Accuracy of all 4 guns mentioned are generally very good.

Comment

• Wow... that's a hell of a range advantage! Even more so when you realize that the Long Tom served for many years after the war, with a reputation for being a long-range sniper piece.
          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• How about this guns
            Attached Files

Comment

• i got one.

i took the pic myself, and need reminding on what it is and where it's from if any one knows.
              http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=25531740
              the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
              A man dies and leaves his name,
              A teacher dies and teaches death.
              Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

• Originally posted by gojulas View Post
                How about this guns
                Looks like twin 12.8 cm Flak guns
                " Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

• You got it Lokinar

Comment

• It is a 12 pounder bronze basilisk that has been called Queen Elizabeth's Pocket Pistol. It is 24 feet long with a caliber of 4.75 inch and is reputed to throw a shot 7 miles ( info from Dover Castle by Allan Brown )

Comment

• How about this one
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                        Wow... that's a hell of a range advantage! Even more so when you realize that the Long Tom served for many years after the war, with a reputation for being a long-range sniper piece.
                        Post war the realatively common 130mm gun of the USSR outranged the US artillery by a fair margin. In I Corps in Viet Nam, near the DMZ, the US was ultimatly unable to nuetralize o suppress the battalion of 130mm guns the NVA placed north of the border. The NVA cannon outranged the US 155mm & 175mm cannon. To put the NVA cannon in range the US artllery had to be placed very close to the border, where they were vulnerable to massed fires of shorter range NVA artillery. US airstrikes repeatedly missed the 130mm guns. A direct hit in the gun was required to silence it. Near misses only concussed the crews & the NVA kept spare crews ready to take over any gun. Teams of mechanics with spare parts also stood by to rush in on any damaged gun.

Comment

• Little hint on the Gun , it was used against the russians

Comment

• That hint is not much , considering the grab-bag of equipment the Germans took to Russia.

It looks Austrian or Italian, but other than that I have no idea what it could be.
                            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• okay guys it a one of , and it was used in asia against the russians

Comment

• Originally posted by gojulas View Post
                                okay guys it a one of , and it was used in asia against the russians
                                on Caucasus but where?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X