Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, this is something really odd! Try and guess the name of that one!
    AEP, I think I have finally provided you with something hard

Anyone is welcome to answer, though.
    Last edited by BlackDonald; 28 Aug 11, 02:58.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed.

Comment

• My Eyes!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by BlackDonald View Post

Now, this is something really odd! Try and guess the name of that one!

Is this the Chinese ZM 87 laser weapon? Aren't these things banned by treaty?
      " Gentlemen , you can't fight in here! This is the War Room" :
      President Mirkin Muffley, in Dr. Strangelove.

Comment

• Originally posted by irontoad View Post
        Is this the Chinese ZM 87 laser weapon? Aren't these things banned by treaty?
        It is, and yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackDonald View Post

Now, this is something really odd! Try and guess the name of that one!

The gauntlet has been thrown and I have to put my hand up and admit that I was at a loss on this one. Of course I could make out that it was some form of exotic weapon, but after searching for plasma, laser, rail, and magnetic guns I still came up empty handed. Nice one
          "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
          T. S. Elliot

Comment

• Here is an excerpt from Janes:
            Description
            A ZM-87 Portable Laser Disturber, made by NORINCO, was exhibited in 1995. This laser weapon was designed to damage electro-optical sensors and dazzle the human eye at ranges up to 10 km. The equipment was portable, weighed about 35 kg, and has been seen fitted to Type 98 main battle tanks. It is probable that the weapon was also fitted to ships.There have been several reports of Chinese research into ground-based laser weapons to defend against cruise missiles, UAV and aircraft. The Second Artillery were believed to have been developing a system known as 'Shen Huo' using a chemical laser. The 1,028th Research Institute was also reported to be developing a GBL. A laser weapon is reported to have destroyed a drone aircraft in 1999.A report in December 1998 indicated that China has developed a ground-based laser weapon capable of damaging the electro-optical sensors of a satellite in low earth orbit. This system was reported to use a deuterium fluoride chemical laser, and it was believed to have become operational in mid-1998. Later developments have been reported using solid state lasers and adaptive optics, and to have a planned maximum power output of 100 kW. The present system has a lower output, but the actual achieved power is not known. The site for one of the ground-based lasers is located in central China. A further development programme is working on a more powerful system to damage satellite structures, and this would be expected to have a planned output power of...
            Certainly interesting stuff that we don't get to read about every day.

And here is a link to a related "incident." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_...laser_incident
            Last edited by Cicero; 28 May 09, 21:21. Reason: Addition of the Juan de Fuca Laser incident link

Comment

• I guess I'll put one down.

I want it's full name not it's nickname.
              Studying Logistics since birth....

Comment

• That is that wonderful piece of French engineering, the Chauchat Model 1915.It's official name is the Fusil-Mitrailleur Mle 1915 CSRG.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

• Ah Gixxer, you know this peice of crap that is th Chauchat. May there never be a gun made like this again.
                  Studying Logistics since birth....

Comment

• Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                    And here is a link to a related "incident." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_...laser_incident
                    I've heard they where supposedly also encountered in the Balkans by AH-64 pilots. Just a rumor though.

Comment

• Seriously. Someone needs to find some cool weapon for us to identify!

I've done so many in the most recent pages that it should be someone else's turn

Comment

• What about this

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by the_redstar_swl View Post
                          I've heard they where supposedly also encountered in the Balkans by AH-64 pilots. Just a rumor though.
                          At Tuzla airport was a US base, with AH-64 helicopters.
                          Allegedly, one of them crashed during landing. Rumour in local area was that kids were targeting helicopter with laser pen, that pilot saw red spot, made too strong evasive maneuver and crashed.
                          Since this rumour was wide spread, It is possible it was published somewhere, although I didn't saw it. It is very possible it is not true.

Also, I found this
                          http://www.first-team.us/journals/1stndx11.html
                          On 24 October, an incident of an unidentified laser device being directed at a UH-60 helicopter resulted in minor eye injuries for two crewmembers of "B" Company, 2nd Battalion, 227th Aviation Regiment. The incident occurred near the town of Zenica. The flight crew completed their mission and returned to their base where they were both immediately examined and treated. The pilot and a crew member had sustained minor burns to the outer tissue of their eyes. The optometrist who treated the pilots indicated that the injuries would not be permanent. In subsequent examinations which showed improvement, the crew was allowed to returned to full flight status within the next few days.
                          By 01 November, all UH-60 and AH-64 helicopter crews flying in support of the Stabilization Force in the Bosnia-Herzegovina areas began using newly issued laser protective equipment in the wake of the recent incident.

Immediately following the confirmation of the incident, coalition military units and units from the entity armed forces were notified and a full investigation was initiated. This was the first verified laser incident in which medical treatment was required. There had been three other reports of suspected pen-type laser devices being aimed at U.S. aircraft. However, there had been no injuries in any of these cases.
                          Last edited by vathra; 26 Jun 09, 03:45.

Comment

• obscure sniper

this is new to me
                            Attached Files
                            "Damn the torpedoes; where are my condoms!?!"
                            "The price of freedom, is always blood

leo 1a2 can. rental 1977
                            m1a1 1/64 2003 [thunder run]
                            leo2a6m 'the stan'
                            leo1a3-c2 leopard germ.
                            leo2a6m barricuda camo afgan.
                            leo2a4 can.

Comment

• VSK sniper rifle? A iteresting weapon, nearly completely silent.
                              “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

• vsk

dead on stalker
                                "Damn the torpedoes; where are my condoms!?!"
                                "The price of freedom, is always blood

leo 1a2 can. rental 1977
                                m1a1 1/64 2003 [thunder run]
                                leo2a6m 'the stan'
                                leo1a3-c2 leopard germ.
                                leo2a6m barricuda camo afgan.
                                leo2a4 can.