Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Leatherneck and DevilDawg indicated, this is the SA Vz.58.
    The Samopal vzor 1958 (submachine gun, model of 1958) was the standard assault rifle of the Czechoslovak army from the late 1950s and until the dissolution of the ČSSR in the 1993. At the present time the SA Vz.58 is still used by the Czech and Slovak armies, as well as sold for export in some quantities. The SA Vz.58 saw not much of real combat, so it is hard to judge how it stakes up against the most known contemporary rivals, like the Soviet / Russian AK-47 or the US M16A1. But the overall quality, fit and finish of this rifle is excellent. This rifle had been designed by the Czech arms designer Jiř* Čermák, under the project codename "KO*TĚ", or "Broom", in English. Development began in January of 1956, and the rifle was adopted for service only 2 years later, in 1958. The rifle was manufactured by the state-owned arms factory "Česká zbrojovka", located in the town of Uherský Brod (CZ-UB).
    The Czech army planned to replace the SA Vz.58 with the newest CZ-2000 rifle system, chambered for 5.56mm NATO ammunition, but the financial difficulties severely slowed down this process.
    The SA Vz.58 strongly resembles externally the famous Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle, but internally it is entirely different and of original and well-thought out design.
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• How about this one?

Comment

• Steyr M-1A pistol
        "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• Dang, that was fast. I thaught this would be a harder one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap. Teancum
            Dang, that was fast. I thaught this would be a harder one.
            It says 'Steyr' on the barrel.
            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• It says 'Steyr' on the barrel.
              !!
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Try an older Weapon That people will actually have to think about.
                Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• New Question...

Name this weapon...Manufacturer and Model.
                  Attached Files
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• Winchester 1300 Trench Gun?

Comment

• A shotgun with a bayonet? Cool.
                      Alpine Kommandos

Central Oregon KSK Airsoft Team

Comment

• Model 97 Winchester

Next
                        Last edited by DevilDawg; 02 Aug 05, 20:49.
                        Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

Comment

• Originally posted by DevilDawg
                          Model 97 Winchester

Next
                          Bingo! Winchester Model 1897 or Winchester '97 - "The Trench Broom"...possibly the most famous US military shotgun. It was so effective in WWI that Germany lobbied for it to be banned from warfare.

Great Winchester '97 movie: The Wind and the Lion
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• Originally posted by the_redstar_swl
                            Winchester 1300 Trench Gun?
                            Close, but no cigar! The Winchester '97 was followed up by the Winchester Model 1912. But the original "Trench Broom" is the '97.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Doctor
                              Close, but no cigar! The Winchester '97 was followed up by the Winchester Model 1912. But the original "Trench Broom" is the '97.

i thought the tommy was called the trench broom
                              I got your name
                              I got your ass
                              You will not laugh
                              You will not cry

Full Metal Jacket

Comment

• History of the Winchester Model 97 Shotgun

At the beginning of U.S. involvement in World War I, Gen. John J. Pershing ("Black Jack") was given command. He was determined that U.S. forces would not settle into the static trench warfare that had already chewed up tens of thousands of lives on the European battlefield. The key was the ability to stop short any German attack from their own trenches before they could overrun American positions while being able to infiltrate and clean out the enemy trenches in turn.

The ideal weapon would be shorter and easier to bring to bear on nearby targets in tight spaces like a trench or building, superior in these characteristics to the 1903 Springfield or 1917 Enfield infantry rifles. The Model 97 proved quite capable in all respects as well as being low maintanance and reliable. It quickly became known as the "trench broom". In the military version, with its ventilated handguard over the barrel and M1917 bayonet attachment, it was legendary for its tremendous firepower. It became so feared by the Germans that they tried to get shotguns outlawed in combat.

The Model 97 continued to be used by the U.S. military in World War II, along with the similar design Winchester Model 12 Combat Shotgun. Collectors will notice that there was a change in the ventilated heat shield during WW II from the WW I design of six rows of holes to only 4 rows starting in 1942.

The M97 shotgun was extremely successfull, both with the military and in civilian markets for hunters and law enforcement, remaining on sale until the late 1950s by which time over 1 million had been shipped. The Model 97 continued to be used by U.S. forces in the Korean War, in Vietnam and even the Gulf War by which time the design was almost 100 years in use. All branches of the U.S. armed forces made some use of the Model 97 over its service lifetime.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X