This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the first crack pipes?....

Probably an early, failed attempt at a grenade.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

Comment

• Yes, Viking67 and DevilDawg are correct. It's an 18th century hand grenade, used by grenadiers, rangers, and on board ships. This particular one was recovered from the wreck of the pirate ship Whydah which sank off the coast of Massachusetts in 1717.
      "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

• Damn. I thought it was a crack pipe.
        OMG! TEH LINK IN TEH SIG!!! d000000d!!!!1111
        ^ The Ninja Zombies with Jetpacks Forums

Comment

• Originally posted by Leatherneck
          OVERKILL...

Respect the members, Please.
          make me im back
          No amount of weapons is enough weapons

Comment

• Originally posted by OVERKILL
            you have no lives
            Maybe, but at least we have intelligence.
            All warfare is based on deception.

Comment

• What weapon is this?
              Attached Files

Comment

• Iraeli Negev LMG
                Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

Comment

• Originally posted by DevilDawg
                  Iraeli Negev LMG
                  That would be correct.

Comment

make me im back
                    Overkill has just received a two week ban for inappropriate behavior on the forums, in addition to disrespecting forum staff. People, we really have to follow the forum rules.
                    "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

make me im back
                      And now you're gone. Sorry Mods, I had to say it.

Now, back on topic. What's this?
                      Last edited by MomoJak00; 14 Sep 05, 01:05.
                      OMG! TEH LINK IN TEH SIG!!! d000000d!!!!1111
                      ^ The Ninja Zombies with Jetpacks Forums

Comment

• I've seen that gun before, but I can't remeber the name, is it the GG-95 PDW?
                        Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• I am trying to find out any info on a revolver I have. I have a Enfield .455 cal. Revolver built in 1926. The pistol was built first by Webley, then by Enfield. It is a double action with a break open action. Trying to find out how much one of these may be worth.

Comment

• Webley

Sadly nothing unless deactivated in the UK as we are not permitted such "dangerous toys" now.

I assume you are referring to the Webley revolver, .455, Mark 6, 6" barrel with removable foresight. Webley & Scott made them 1915-21, then Enfield took over manufacture until they were officially made obselete by the "Enfield No.2 .38" in 1932. This weapon was still around in WW2, and I'm sure that many personnel would have preferred the .455" to its .38" replacement. This was probably due to the 'round-head' lead bullet.

In pre "political correctness" days the 1897 Webley .455 Mark II was offered with a "Man Stopping Bullet". Events in South Africa, Sudan, Afghanistan etc had shown that an oncoming tribesman needed to be stopped before he speared or beheaded you. Smaller calibre and jacketed rounds often failed to do this to the user's terminal chagrin! In the popular military vernacular the Webley .455 has often been referred to as a "Wog Stopper". Colonial wars continue but the language gets gentler.

As to the value, remember this was the standard British side-arm for most of the First World War (British officers could purchase their own weapons as long as they were in 'official' .455 calibre)., and often a cherished backup in the WW2!

Most collectors seem to go for earlier models or the "Webley-Fosbury" .455" Automatic Revolver, which seems to have gained more notoriety from being used in the film "The Maltese Falcon" than from actual use in the dirt and mud of WWI trenches.

A piece of British Military History, worthless here now unless ruined

Andy "Weeble" Weaver
                            Andy "Weeble" Weaver

Research, Reference and Historical Study

Illud Latine dici non potest

Comment

• Originally posted by Weeble
                              Sadly nothing unless deactivated in the UK as we are not permitted such "dangerous toys" now.

I assume you are referring to the Webley revolver, .455, Mark 6, 6" barrel with removable foresight. Webley & Scott made them 1915-21, then Enfield took over manufacture until they were officially made obselete by the "Enfield No.2 .38" in 1932. This weapon was still around in WW2, and I'm sure that many personnel would have preferred the .455" to its .38" replacement. This was probably due to the 'round-head' lead bullet.

In pre "political correctness" days the 1897 Webley .455 Mark II was offered with a "Man Stopping Bullet". Events in South Africa, Sudan, Afghanistan etc had shown that an oncoming tribesman needed to be stopped before he speared or beheaded you. Smaller calibre and jacketed rounds often failed to do this to the user's terminal chagrin! In the popular military vernacular the Webley .455 has often been referred to as a "Wog Stopper". Colonial wars continue but the language gets gentler.

As to the value, remember this was the standard British side-arm for most of the First World War (British officers could purchase their own weapons as long as they were in 'official' .455 calibre)., and often a cherished backup in the WW2!

Most collectors seem to go for earlier models or the "Webley-Fosbury" .455" Automatic Revolver, which seems to have gained more notoriety from being used in the film "The Maltese Falcon" than from actual use in the dirt and mud of WWI trenches.

A piece of British Military History, worthless here now unless ruined

Andy "Weeble" Weaver
                              What are the theories behind the U.K.'s gun bans anyway? Last I read it had no affect on the violent crime rates.
                              Charlie was a chemist,but Charlie is no more,
                              What Charlie thought was H20,was H2S04

Comment

• Originally posted by M.E.Eldridge
                                What are the theories behind the U.K.'s gun bans anyway? Last I read it had no affect on the violent crime rates.
                                It has something to do with the "Only the government should have guns so the common folk don't rise up." or so I have read.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X