X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ForIAmSparticus View Post
    Would that be a Nock Gun?
    Nope, Its a bit older than the volley gun.
    45B10 1986-91

Comment

• I want to call it a Seven-Barrel Revolving Flintlock Rifle, but I can't come up with a manufacturer. It is possible that this is the weapon from the Tower of London Armoury that helped inspire Elisha Collier's flintlock revolvers which in turn inspired cap and ball revolvers.

Comment

• You are close enough to be a winner. There were 3 men who held patents for similar arms. Elisha Collier held the patent in the UK, Cornelius coolidge the French patent and Artemus Wheeler the US patent.
        This particular one is one of Wheeler's from about 1818. It is believed to have been made by William Bishop in Boston.

As I said, all the patents were for a manualy revolving flintlock mechanism. Both handguns and this carbine were produced. The US Navy actually bought 4 for trials.
        45B10 1986-91

Comment

• Originally posted by popuptarget View Post
          You are close enough to be a winner. There were 3 men who held patents for similar arms. Elisha Collier held the patent in the UK, Cornelius coolidge the French patent and Artemus Wheeler the US patent.
          This particular one is one of Wheeler's from about 1818. It is believed to have been made by William Bishop in Boston.

As I said, all the patents were for a manualy revolving flintlock mechanism. Both handguns and this carbine were produced. The US Navy actually bought 4 for trials.
          I find it interesting he bothered to put sights on all the barrels.

Comment

• Well it's a revolving barrel design, so without the sights on all the barrels you wouldn't always have sights.

Anyway, here's the next one

We're after the bladed weapon in his hands, though if you can get the rifle as well you get bonus points.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefffar View Post
              Well it's a revolving barrel design, so without the sights on all the barrels you wouldn't always have sights.

Anyway, here's the next one

We're after the bladed weapon in his hands, though if you can get the rifle as well you get bonus points.
              That's a smatchett.
              I understant the need for one one each barrel, my surprise is that they actually did it. Given the lack of accuracy on those things it makes as much sense to leave them off.

Comment

• Didn't take long, a Smatchett

Comment

• Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                  That's a smatchett.
                  I understant the need for one one each barrel, my surprise is that they actually did it. Given the lack of accuracy on those things it makes as much sense to leave them off.
                  Wheelers revolver was rifled. Makes some sense to go with a 7 shot revolving rifle with the length of time to reload before the Minie ball came about.
                  45B10 1986-91

Comment

• I yield the picture posting to someone else.

Comment

• Any of you lads can guess this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

------
                      'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

• Originally posted by Selous View Post
                        Any of you lads can guess this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks like some sort of Farquharson action rifle. Gibbs or Jeffries?

Comment

• Gibbs.
                          -.- I was hoping that'd take more puzzlements
                          Good job
                          ------
                          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Selous View Post
                            Gibbs.
                            -.- I was hoping that'd take more puzzlements
                            Good job
                            Well, it's a beautiful rifle anyhow. I again yield the posting to others.

Comment

• It's not made up.
                              "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• AI Arctic Warfare?
                                ------

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X