Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

New type of armor made of foam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New type of armor made of foam

There is a foam armor that can stop bullets and the US Army is hoping that it can do the same with Tank rounds.
    If it works they can make Tanks and other Armored vehicles up to 65% lighter.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/04/...e-enemies.html

Weird.

But then, making armor out of porcelain seemed strange, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      Weird.

But then, making armor out of porcelain seemed strange, too.
      Very Weird, but makes some sense.

Against blast it's very logical. The porous structure can collapse while solid armor either has to wholly deflect, flex, or crack. I can see where a foam panel would be an excellent middle layer backer for a plate on belly armor, able to crush under blast pressure without sending spalling into the vehicle.

Against AP rounds a couple of thoughts: You could suspend very hard particles in the foam, like BBs or a scaled equivalent, that could function like a 'decapping layer' for AP projectiles. The foam also provides no structure whatsoever for something that rigid and fast moving into it, it might as well be a very thick liquid. So if the round started to yaw, it would probably just shatter. Obliterate that piece of armor, sure, but if you have a plate backer to take the pieces, it might contain the round and stop penetration. Overall it seems similar to some composite designs the Soviets tried to make with mixed results....suspending ceramic balls inside a cast steel plate.

Against HEAT rounds I'm seeing it as a type of 'spaced armor. I'd put this stuff between a RHA plate and another plate with ERA on the outside.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Against AP rounds a couple of thoughts: You could suspend very hard particles in the foam, like BBs or a scaled equivalent, that could function like a 'decapping layer' for AP projectiles. The foam also provides no structure whatsoever for something that rigid and fast moving into it, it might as well be a very thick liquid. So if the round started to yaw, it would probably just shatter. Obliterate that piece of armor, sure, but if you have a plate backer to take the pieces, it might contain the round and stop penetration. Overall it seems similar to some composite designs the Soviets tried to make with mixed results....suspending ceramic balls inside a cast steel plate.
        In 1940 Britain developed an armour system that consisted of very hard stone fragments embedded in a softish bitumen matrix. It was used with some success to armour superstructure on coasters and was able to stop machine gun fire and sometimes cannon from attacking aircraft. Using non strategic material it was seen as having other advantages over steel armour plate - when hit steel fragments were not produced.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Sounds promising but time will tell

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

How many of you remember Fiberglass armor? It stopped HEAT but failed against High Velocity AP. There was an issue with Fiberglass being removed each hit, possibly leaving it vulnerable to a second hit in the same place.

Let us see if "Foam" can stop both types of AT rounds.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X