Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airdropped Humvees plummet to the ground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airdropped Humvees plummet to the ground.

Not just one, nor two.....

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
    Bukowski

I have a feeling that the rigger platoon leader was standing at attention in front of the battalion commander soon after this.
    "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

To say the least...although the chutes do not appear to fail - it appears the vehicles break loose from their pallets.

Lucky it wasn't a bunch of Bradleys.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Holy
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

The term Loadmaster may be applied. Uh fail.

https://www.airforce.com/careers/det...ft-loadmaster/
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

The Air Force tried to airdrop some Sheridans in Panama. They never found them! The funny part is they were able to air transport a number in. They just landed in the airbase there and pulled into a hangar, and voila! There they were! Maybe they should try landing the pallets on a runaway? I understand they have to practice these kind of exercises, but I wish they had fewer screw ups.

In other Air Force news, they were trying to drum up support to re-start the F-22 production line again! We haven't figured out how to pay for the F-35, and they want to spend more?

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Might be some sort of malfunction with the parachute release cut away that is sposed to activate when the load lands. Once saw a 110 Land Rover land in a tree, the cut away sensed the thing had landed and cut away the chutes allowing gravity to finish its destruction

Comment

The commentators seem overly happy at the destruction of tax payer's property.........
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                  The commentators seem overly happy at the destruction of tax payer's property.........
                  Might reflect their evaluation of the value of the Humvee
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I'm thinking this is Army rigging and not Air Force dropping to blame.

On a battalion drop it would probably be the same Army rigger platoon that rigged all three heavy drop pallets and the same rigger supervisor that oversaw it, inspected it, and signed off on it.

It looked like a similar fail with each pallet yet each pallet was dropped by a different Air Force crew. So think about it. The three heavy drop pallets all had the same riggers in common not the same air crews.
                    Last edited by KRJ; 23 Apr 16, 08:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                      The commentators are undoubtedly young enlisted soldiers and young enlisted soldiers always think it's funny to see things go wrong for command as long as it doesn't involve them directly. The commentator was probably 18-years-old. He was hardly thinking about tax payer dollars.

Comment

It really is a great way to clean out the motor pool for the newer models.
                        My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          To say the least...although the chutes do not appear to fail - it appears the vehicles break loose from their pallets.

Lucky it wasn't a bunch of Bradleys.
                          My guess is that the pallets were being reused and some failed. I made similar pallets for the SEALs for something called a CARC Platform, whatever that is, one time. They wanted them to be reusable from what they told me.
                          I pointed out that Simpson Strong Tie components should be added (all they were using were common construction screws). They didn't have a clue what those were... But, did like the results...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            My guess is that the pallets were being reused and some failed. I made similar pallets for the SEALs for something called a CARC Platform, whatever that is, one time. They wanted them to be reusable from what they told me.
                            I pointed out that Simpson Strong Tie components should be added (all they were using were common construction screws). They didn't have a clue what those were... But, did like the results...
                            Strong Tie stuff works real good. On another note, I'm thinking of upgrading the insurance on my '97 Dakota and lending it to these guys.
                            Skip

Comment

I have personal experience with something like that, it happens!
                              My Bn Commanders Jeep streamered in during Swift Strike III in SC, I was his radio operator and I got stuck babysitting the trailer for several days until the jeep was replaced, I also saw it happen in Germany in 1966, I passed one of our Signal Bn's radio rigs buried half way in to the ground on the DZ.
                              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X