Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DARPA wants you!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/04/...sh-prizes.html

Allison Barrie on why DARPA will be awarding hefty cash prizes to those who can turn everyday items into weapons and bombs
    If the zombie apocalypse hits, are you the person in your neighborhood who can turn everyday objects into a weapon? If so, then your country needs you.

DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, is inviting you to demonstrate your MacGyver skills and use them to help keep your fellow Americans safe. And you have five days left to propose your innovation.

The agency will be awarding hefty cash prizes to patriotic Americans who can turn everyday items, like consumer electronics and model airplanes, into weapons and bombs. The key is to identify off-the-shelf products that could be adapted by bad guys to pose a threat to Americans. All together, a successful innovator could win up to about $130,000 for his or her skills.
    great idea or a great way to end up on an FBI watch list?

i personally have no idea how to make dangerous items from ordinary household chemicals and hardware store parts....trust me.
    45B10 1986-91

Maybe, like NASA, they've been tasked with Muslim outreach.

Comment

Always wanted to build a Trebuchet in the back garden!
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by popuptarget View Post
        http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/04/...sh-prizes.html

great idea or a great way to end up on an FBI watch list?

i personally have no idea how to make dangerous items from ordinary household chemicals and hardware store parts....trust me.
        Does napalm and ANFO count? Everybody knows those two.

Seriously, this sounds like a DHS troll.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Hey, Vogel built a bomb out of sugar, oxygen and stain remover. I built a bomb out of the stuff I found in Gunny's kitchen "a few years ago."
          Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
          Hyperwar, Whats New
          World War II Resources
          The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Always wanted to build a Trebuchet in the back garden!
            ahh nothing like the classics
            i could terrorize kayaks on the creek with one and some pumpkins
            45B10 1986-91

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Does napalm and ANFO count? Everybody knows those two.

Seriously, this sounds like a DHS troll.
              i would imagine they are gearing this toward the delivery mechanisms.

i had to give a speech once in school, the topic was to describe a procedure.

mine was making acetone/peroxide detonators.

half the class was nursing students, the other half my fellow mechanical design classmates.
              the mechanical design people thought it hilarious while the nursing students were appalled.
              45B10 1986-91

Comment

When in the 6th form we read The Citadel by A J Cronin (a good read). In it two doctors fed up with the disease caused by the pollution of the local (Welsh) water supply from an inadequate sewer system resolve the problem one night by blowing up the latter with stolen dynamite' Two days later our odoriferous and insanitary school bogs exploded in a cloud of white smoke. The local plod were called, were highly amused and did nothing - we later got some shining new toilets. Today we'd have been swamped by heavily armed and armoured anti terrorist squads. I was at one of Britain's few Grammar Techs full of moderately well educated guys who knew chemistry and engineering. The metaphysical poets in the morning and nitro-iodine in the afternoon.
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Sorry, entry date is past.
                  The Proposers Day webcast is pre-recorded and will be available for viewing on two dates: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., and Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Advance registration is required for viewing the webcast, either alone or as part of a group. Note: all times listed in this announcement and on the registration website are Eastern Time.
                  LINK

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X