Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS IOWA exploration

Waoo !The dream of the little boys!
    Excellent moments , sometimes a bit creepy , like in the "Stalker" game(not that much but a bit nethertheless )

Last edited by sebfrench76; 22 Mar 16, 07:40.
    That rug really tied the room together

Great film. I have a friend (same guy?) who just took a tour like this with his old shipmate (a tour guide in Iowa) and had an absolute great day.
    Skip

Comment

It seems a great and unforgettable experience,but only if you're not claustrophobic...
      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

I only know of a couple of men who were claustrophobic aboard ship...it was real and they were both transferred to shore duty. It was all just another day to the rest of us and our ship(s) were much smaller. I can't imagine claustrophobic on a ship this size.
        Skip

Comment

I had the good fortune to get on the USS Iowa in 2012 whilst on holiday on Los Angeles, no behind the scenes tour, just the regular tour, but it left quote an impression on my partner, my son and me!!!

Comment

I've toured the Wisconsin twice in Norfolk. Ships are not my thing, even the big ones. Spaces are small, ladders are steep and the overheard hurts like hell when you forget to duck. I've also toured the NC and AL. NC was the better one imo although the area that Wisconsin is tied up is hard to beat.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Having toured Texas on a blazing hot summers day (when the only other people on board were a Japanese family) I would think that the main problem when she was in the Pacific or off N Africa would be avoiding heat stroke.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                Waoo !The dream of the little boys!
                Excellent moments , sometimes a bit creepy , like in the "Stalker" game(not that much but a bit nethertheless )

Was the IOWA a sister ship to the 'Mighty Mo' ?? For the very short view of her under steam , I noted that her lines were very similar.
                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

I've toured the Mo in Honolulu, spent four hours on that ship. I'd love to see more.
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                    Was the IOWA a sister ship to the 'Mighty Mo' ?? For the very short view of her under steam , I noted that her lines were very similar.
                    Sisters indeed: Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri, and Wisconsin. I got to tour the Mo in the mid-1980s: never saw anything like it. For a snot-nosed kid, she was pretty amazing.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Went over the Massachusetts in the late 80s but even then being a kid, snot or otherwise, was a long way past - so with the Texas leaves only 6 to go. I suspect it's too late now
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Nice tour! Living only 40 mins away and being a "plankowner-donator", I should have visited her already. This summer, probably or maybe right after spring break. Just down the road (~ 2 miles) is SS Lane Victory which has a nice summer cruise tour (they take you out to sea for some distance, have lunch, visit displays, chase a Nazi spy, and then you get strafed by the Condor Squadron. A nice bit of fun.)

Having been on Missouri and North Carolina, have to admit the North Carolina tour is superior, not that the Missouri is bad or deficient. Just that the North Carolina crew has done an excellent, excellent job of maintaining her and creating an excellent exhibit. Maybe also, they have the advantage of not being in a tourist paradise where a heck of a lot of people come through. In any event, the North Carolina hosts an excellent tour from aft to fore. It includes an excellent #2 main gun turret tour, which allow one to go all the way down the barbette to the powder room and, IIRC, part of the magazines. Highly recommend it. Plus, they've got an excellent Kingfisher on deck.

And if you're in the area with some time, you can go to Patriot Point in South Carolina and visit USS Yorktown (CV10), USS Clamagore (SS343) and USS Laffey (DD-724), all ships worthy of a full day or two.

Comment

I toured the Iowa two years ago when I was out there visiting the in-laws. They didn't have a lot of the compartments open at the time.

PS- There's a great English pub about a mile away on 7th St in San Pedro called the Whale & Ale. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Yeah, Iowa is still a work in progress, they're doing as much stuff as they can. Consider a donation if you have some spare cash....if you've got a membership with another ship museum or with the HNSA, you've got the option to visit for free!

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                              Sisters indeed: Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri, and Wisconsin. I got to tour the Mo in the mid-1980s: never saw anything like it. For a snot-nosed kid, she was pretty amazing.
                              Hi Snotty, ( HaHa? ) I am building the 'Mighty Mo' 1-200 at the moment, it amazes me every time I turn around their is another batch of parts!! Built the HMS Nelson previously it was a piece of cake in comparison! ( To build I mean, not in action. ) Cheers, lcm1
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X