T-90 Tank Hit by TOW in Syria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-90 Tank Hit by TOW in Syria

Putin's latest tank hit by the deadly TOW missile fired by insurgents in Syria.

Sorry, I still by habit click EDIT instead of QUOTE button. Nick
    Last edited by nikolas93TS; 28 Feb 16, 16:33.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Yeah I just saw that video earlier, kind of confirms the reports back in 1999 and the War of Dagestan that this MBT could take such punishment.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

Comment

They hit it in exactly the worst place you want to kill a tank: right in the turret face. Since it looks like the commander was OK it doesn't seem like the tank sustained catastrophic damage, a strong showing for a relatively inexpensive vehicle (half the cost of an Abrams).
      Divine Mercy Sunday: 4/21/2020 (https://www.thedivinemercy.org/message) The Miracle of Lanciano: Jesus' Real Presence (https://web.archive.org/web/20060831...fcontents.html)

Comment

That looks to be a TOW I launcher.

A lot of MBTs would survive a front turret hit.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

In fact most modern tanks were designed specifically to be able to shrug off ATGMs from the front. On something like a T-90 all you need to do is hit one of the ERA packs and the missile is toast. That's the reason the new generation of TOWs is designed with a top attack profile to take advantage of the relatively weak roof armor.
          "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Was that a top-attack warhead? If so, then the missile failed to overfly the tank like it was supposed to.

Comment

I wonder why the tank commander bailed out, if the tank didn't sustain any major damage. To clean out his undies?

Is it SOP in Muslim armies to yell "Allah Akbar" non-stop everytime you fire off any armaments?

Comment

It looks like idiots fighting a war...

Comment

The gunner is seen exiting the tank, not the TC.

Comment

I am guessing a lack of training is the reason for the bail out unless the tank is more vulnerable than we think

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
                      I wonder why the tank commander bailed out, if the tank didn't sustain any major damage. To clean out his undies?
                      If the tank survived intact then the crew lost its nerve. Can't blame them for panicking and bailing out. This is common. Being in a tank that's taking hits is a terrifying experience. That's how the British captured its first Tiger tank in Africa. Tiger crew bailed out of a perfectly drive-able vehicle. In the after-action report the Wehrmacht wrote "panic" as the reason for crew abandoning and losing the tank.
                      Is it SOP in Muslim armies to yell "Allah Akbar" non-stop everytime you fire off any armaments?
                      Because they are stupid. They behave like animals. Professional soldiers don't yell because that only betrays their position. Special forces attack in complete silence using only hand signals because even talking in a normal tone of voice can get you killed.

Comment

And say it in many different ways. Reminded me of Kramer (Seinfeld) practicing "These pretzels are making me thirsty"
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
                          I am guessing a lack of training is the reason for the bail out unless the tank is more vulnerable than we think
                          Tank may not have been penetrated, but that doesn't mean there wasn't secondary damage inside the tank. Gunner could have just panicked.

So even though the tank wasn't penetrated, it was suppressed.
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                            Was that a top-attack warhead? If so, then the missile failed to overfly the tank like it was supposed to.
                            It was likely a very old TOW missile. After all shipping the near obsolete junk to the rebels would be a convenient way of getting rid of the old stocks - likely cheaper too.
                            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                              Because they are stupid. They behave like animals. Professional soldiers don't yell because that only betrays their position. Special forces attack in complete silence using only hand signals because even talking in a normal tone of voice can get you killed.
                              You know this how? Is this when they are engaging in "glorious combat"?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X