Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pereh missile carrier - good military deception?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pereh missile carrier - good military deception?

Although it's been around for awhile, thanks to diligent censors it hasn't reached the press until freely publicised last year. Was it really necessary to conceal this as a real MBT?

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

If I had chance to fool my enemy and I would not take it, Wouldn't that mean that I do not want to play the game seriously?
    Like one of mine instructors said, you do not fight cleanly, you must cheat as much as possible.
    From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
    Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
    "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

The only one that complains about cheating is dead or about to die.

As for it, SPIKE NLOS appears to be an extremely potent asset. It would certainly be an early target by any attacking force, especially helicopters and other airpower. I think it's brilliant to disguise it as a run of the mill tank.....makes it harder to hunt and kill these assets when you have to kill ALL the MBT's to be certain you got them.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by Senorankka View Post
        If I had chance to fool my enemy and I would not take it, Wouldn't that mean that I do not want to play the game seriously?
        Like one of mine instructors said, you do not fight cleanly, you must cheat as much as possible.
        "I'll kill a man in a fair fight ... or if I think he's going to start one." Fred. T. Jayne, "Firefly".
        Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources
        The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

It was given a fake gun so chiefly Syrian intelligence would consider it a MBT and consequently not consider the vehicles an immediate threat if it spotted them behind the front line, while in reality the Pereh would have been operated by Artillery Corps and in a position to obliterate an advancing armoured formation with long-range anti-tank missiles.

This also meant that the existence of the vehicles and the Tamuz missile had to remain closely guarded secrets, so no countermeasures could be developed before commencing the hostilities. Classic "maskirovka".

Also, when I have read first conversions were completed in 1982, I found an article published on September 19, 1982 in New York Times. And something interested emerged:

Military analysts on the scene believe that the Israelis used their own version of an antitank weapon now being developed in the United States. It is known as Sadarm (for Sense and Destroy Armor) and is one of a number of antitank systems being developed by the Pentagon under a program called Assault Breaker. The American objective is to develop conventional weapons to counter Soviet tanks on the Central Front in Europe.

The Israeli version was probably fired from an American selfpropelled eight-inch howitzer. The shell, reports said, appeared to break into three segments, each of which homed on the cupola of the target tank (where the armor generally is thinnest). Once fired, the projectile - which also can be launched from an aircraft - is supposed to pick out its own target. Reports from Lebanon suggest that television guidance or some system other than heat-seekers was employed.

Pentagon officials concede that the Israelis probably know about Sadarm and that use of a comparable weapon may have gone beyond American developments.
          Some say Pereh first operational use was only in 2005, but what if they were used already in 1982? Above description fits Pereh as well, and might be the first spotting of the system, something that nobody recognized at the time. After all Pereh was developed in the wake of Yom Kippur war, when IDF realized they needed additional firepower to stop massive Arab tank formations pouring across the borders and particularly over Golan heights. Merkava and M60 hulls were needed for their primary role, so they put a new turret with fake gun on M48 platform.

Afterwards, as risk of massive tank attacks got reduced, Pereh became an useful tool in areas like West Coast and Gaza. A TV-guided missile with 25km range is an excellent stealthy alternative to aircraft and helicopter launched guided missiles. Immagine how many terrorists were killed with a strike which come without warning, out of nowhere. Again, in order to maintain advantage over confused opponent, secrecy was an imperative.

Then in 2011, fourteen systems went to the British Army, known as "Exactor". Since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2012, Pereh have carried out numerous retaliation strikes against positions in Syria. During 2014 it fired several hundred missiles during "Protective Edge". And pictures started to emerge anyway, so I guess IDF realized it would be better to publicize Pereh as deterrence, while also advertising the vehicle's existence to potential export clients.
          It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
          Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

That or they have something else in the works.

After all, the IDF runs tank-based APCs. Wouldn't be hard to put this system on one of those and boom.....the enemy is looking for disguised tanks when a disguised APC takes him out.
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

After all, the IDF runs tank-based APCs. Wouldn't be hard to put this system on one of those and boom.....the enemy is looking for disguised tanks when a disguised APC takes him out.
              More like something to replace it...

Comment

I like the way the IDF thinks...
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

No doubt Israelis have another ace up in their sleeve.

However, I doubt it is APC based as they refuse to arm those with anything heavier than .50cal heavy machine gun. They don't want their crews to get tempted to act as a tank, even in self-defense.

They also developed trailer-based system, designed to operate independent of dedicated vehicles, as well several designs for lightweight tactical utility vehicles, including their own licence built HMMWV Hamer and some designs for export.

At this point tactical vehicles looks like the most obvious choice.
                  It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                  Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X