Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rare tank

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rare tank

    I had never heard of this type of french tank from the ww2



    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCM_36

    Talk about weird design !

    And for the aficionados , some other running french bizarreries...





    That rug really tied the room together

  • #2
    Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
    I had never heard of this type of french tank from the ww2



    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCM_36

    Talk about weird design !

    And for the aficionados , some other running french bizarreries...





    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

    Comment


    • #3
      It was certainly rare, a short production run. But it was not unknown. What's so weird about it, the angled track skirts?
      Michele

      Comment


      • #4
        Michele :"I" had never heard of it.
        You know what it is,if you want to be read ,you need a tabloid style thread's title

        Regarding the global design,you are Italian ,so you're fluent with akwards tanks
        That rug really tied the room together

        Comment


        • #5
          There was a problem with insufficient tank building plant. The FMC company could not keep building them and fill the order for Char B1's they had. The Char B1 was more profitable so they told the Ministry they would stop building the new tank to complete the Char B contract and then they would switch back to the new tank. The new run never got started.

          They were placed in two Battalions and met the German attack. They could destroy the lighter German Tanks, but the weak 37mm gun could not penetrate a Mark III. The German 37mm in the Mark III could not penetrate this tank's angled armor either. They finally slugged it out at point blank range and some German rounds penetrated. The Germans ended up with the whole production but converted them into Marders and SP Artillery vehicles. I believe these all saw duty with the 21st Panzer Division. This division had a number of rare ersatz vehicles.

          Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

          Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

          by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

          Comment


          • #6
            Pruitt , you are truly an expert !
            Ooops , already said !
            That rug really tied the room together

            Comment


            • #7
              Sounds like it had a lot of unrealized potential.

              Overall, had the production of the B1 been canceled in favor of making this the primary tank, I think the French would have had the better of it. Some modification to the turret ring to accomodate a high velocity 37mm, and maybe an infantry support variant with a low velocity 50mm or 75 (if it would fit)........
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                Sounds like it had a lot of unrealized potential.

                Overall, had the production of the B1 been canceled in favor of making this the primary tank, I think the French would have had the better of it. Some modification to the turret ring to accomodate a high velocity 37mm, and maybe an infantry support variant with a low velocity 50mm or 75 (if it would fit)........
                Sorry to disagree. You're never going to get a good tank, no matter what the hardware, with a crew of two. It means the commander/gunner/loader will always, always be overloaded with tasks and therefore overwhelmed by the tactical situation. IMHO.
                Michele

                Comment


                • #9
                  Add to that a top speed of 24km/hr. so it can't fight efffectively nor can it scout.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The top video is of an FCM 36. It was a low production light tank in the same mold as the FT 17, H35 / 39, or R 35 / 40.
                    A two man tank with a 37mm low velocity gun and a machinegun primarily for close support of infantry. Like the other tanks it has a fairly low speed, decent armor, and no radio.
                    It is the only French tank of that period that was of completely welded construction. This led to problems with the welds cracking and other similar issues as this sort of assembly was new to French tank construction. Another oddity was it was a diesel rather than gasoline engine tank.

                    The vehicle equipped two independent tank battalions.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The French were able to put a larger 37mm gun in the R-35/40 series. If the French had put these into the FCM 36, it would have done much better against tanks. I believe the French were having trouble producing large numbers of 37mm antitank guns as well.

                      Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                      Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                      by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Char B1bis was probably one of the finest tanks in the world in 1940, but there weren't enough of them, logistics couldn't keep them fuelled up, the highly-trained crews needed to get the best out of them were in short supply, and nobody was ever able to concentrate the ones they had where they could make a difference.

                        The Somua was also an excellent design let down by circumstances (funnily enough, the crew's complaints of the shortcomings of both types didn't mention the one-man turret that everyone else has cited since).

                        The Germans simply made better use of fewer (and often inferior) tanks.
                        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by the ace View Post
                          The Char B1bis was probably one of the finest tanks in the world in 1940, but there weren't enough of them, logistics couldn't keep them fuelled up, the highly-trained crews needed to get the best out of them were in short supply, and nobody was ever able to concentrate the ones they had where they could make a difference.

                          The Somua was also an excellent design let down by circumstances (funnily enough, the crew's complaints of the shortcomings of both types didn't mention the one-man turret that everyone else has cited since).

                          The Germans simply made better use of fewer (and often inferior) tanks.
                          I'd disagree. The Char B1 had good armor and a good gun in the turret, but that's about it. As a weapon system it was a piece of crap. As a system it was really a little more than a mobile bunker. The 75mm was useless except when the vehicle was stationary for all intents. Aimed by the driver and without traverse, it was only good as an artillery piece for shelling infantry or gun emplacements.
                          The one-man turret made engaging moving armored targets difficult for the commander / gunner. Since the vehicle was almost forced to fight stationary it makes a great target for artillery and antitank fire.
                          As an armored vehicle intended to fight in a mobile armored warfare environment, it was a massive loser.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Trackstory, an excellent series of books on French armour of 1940 has a book on the FCM36

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Prospekt Mira View Post
                              Add to that a top speed of 24km/hr. so it can't fight efffectively nor can it scout.
                              During WWI a ground speed of 15mph was quite respectable, and three times faster than the British tanks, which incidentally needed four crewmen just to steer.
                              The prevalent thinking was still cavalry based; therefore, this was seen as the equivalent of a pair of scouts going out to recon the enemy, by direct fire if need be. AFV's were in their primitive infancy at this stage, untested and untried in battle.

                              This is actually one of the saner AFV's proposed and fielded. Some of the others were really weird.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X