Coastal artillery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coastal artillery.

Is Nth Korea the only country now using coastal artillery in fortified positions?

IIRC, Sweden disbanded some turrets back in 1997(?), Norway in 2003, and Spain in 2008.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
    Is Nth Korea the only country now using coastal artillery in fortified positions?

IIRC, Sweden disbanded some turrets back in 1997(?), Norway in 2003, and Spain in 2008.
    http://www.military-today.com/artillery/bereg.htm
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Just a question---how is that any different than any other SP artillery?

Comment

Does Gibraltar still man its guns?
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
          Does Gibraltar still man its guns?
          Yes I believe it still does, Gibraltar is the only battle honour traditionally held by the RM (despite its record ) so it could well be manned still because of that tradition. lcm1
          'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

According to the Chinese Peoples Daily

The naval coastal defense force is composed of shore-to-ship missile and coastal artillery units, which have capabilities to defend China's coasts.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
              Traditional SP artillery is less adapted to engaging assault landing craft and other naval fast movers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Traditional SP artillery is less adapted to engaging assault landing craft and other naval fast movers.
                There are a number of commentators/experts who claim that modern SP guns are preferable to fixed positions for coastal defence being better able to evade preliminary bombardment and counter battery fire.
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  No offence meant MM, the WW2 landing craft even the small ones were not designed to go fast. Even the LCAs, that were considered the faster and suitable for initial assault would be the equivalent to a loping run on land but I suppose the more modern variety could be faster. lcm1
                  'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                  " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

Our town had biggest in the World coastal fortress but it is museum today.

Comment

Originally posted by Fareasterner View Post
                      Our town had biggest in the World coastal fortress but it is museum today.
                      In Vladivostok? That I didn't know, I must do a bit of reading to learn more about that one, many thanks.

Does it have a name?
                      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                      Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

Ours didn't survive WW2. They were deemed obsolete early on.

Here's a bunker and fire control tower in Cape May, NJ.

Attached Files
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Has there been considerable beach erosion at Cape May? I only ask because I find it unusual to see that bunker right out on the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                            A lack of knowledge on the big guns, but possibly better range and enhanced software.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                              No offence meant MM, the WW2 landing craft even the small ones were not designed to go fast. Even the LCAs, that were considered the faster and suitable for initial assault would be the equivalent to a loping run on land but I suppose the more modern variety could be faster. lcm1
                              The RHIB's go quite fast, and modern amphibs, especially the latest Marine Corps variant powered by water jets, go fairly fast as well. Fastest of all, I believe, are the current LCAC's used by the Marine Corp to land armor well up on the beaches, which are capable of very fast speeds.

I was thinking as well of the need to engage multiple targets and then relocate rapidly to avoid the inevitable area shore bombardment.

I have some experience with SP artillery from my military days - SP 155's to be specific.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X