Soviet VAL Assault Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet VAL Assault Rifle

Was reading, (18 degs here, and I'm a wuss) a book and a Soviet VAL sniper rifle was mentioned. Now I must admit that I read a lot of fiction and non-fiction and this was the first time the weapon had been introduced. Looked it up and the actual designation is the AS val and is actually a silenced assault rifle. Think the author got the AS Val and the ASS weapons confused since they look almost identical. Anyway looked up the spec on both of them and the AS Val appears to be an excellent short range (200-300 meters) weapon that is "silenced". Now the VSS sniper rifle's effective range is 400 meters, and it is also a "silenced" weapon. However, in my book a sniper rifle should be able to reach out and touch you at a minimum of 800 meters and preferably at 1600+ meters. Oh well the book is interesting and I can stay warm and drink coffee.
    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
    Was reading, (18 degs here, and I'm a wuss) a book and a Soviet VAL sniper rifle was mentioned. Now I must admit that I read a lot of fiction and non-fiction and this was the first time the weapon had been introduced. Looked it up and the actual designation is the AS val and is actually a silenced assault rifle. Think the author got the AS Val and the ASS weapons confused since they look almost identical. Anyway looked up the spec on both of them and the AS Val appears to be an excellent short range (200-300 meters) weapon that is "silenced". Now the VSS sniper rifle's effective range is 400 meters, and it is also a "silenced" weapon. However, in my book a sniper rifle should be able to reach out and touch you at a minimum of 800 meters and preferably at 1600+ meters. Oh well the book is interesting and I can stay warm and drink coffee.
    Freezing here in Eagle...just pried my dog from the fire hydrant.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/rus/as-val-e.html

Last edited by Urban hermit; 01 Dec 15, 20:47.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

http://www.militaryfactory.com/small...allarms_id=686

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

They also have VKS silenced sniper rifle in 12.7x55mm, which gives longer range and better penetration than VSS Vintorez and it's cheaper alternative VSK-94.

SR-3, AS Val, Groza, then various sub-machine guns in high performance 9x19mm or 9x21mm loads, are all examples of Soviet/Russian philosophy to make highly specialized weapons for their special forces, some of which don't (or didn't until recently) have equivalent in the West.
        It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
        Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X