Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the missile used by IDF to kill Ahmed Jabari ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the missile used by IDF to kill Ahmed Jabari ?

I found this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6U2ZQ0EhN4
    and from the explosion, it seems to be a hellfire fired from a gunship or a UAV, but the explosion looks a bit small. What do you guys think ?

Depends on the warhead. Probably about right for a Hellfire with HEAT warhead as most of the energy would go downward into the target. You'd have to find a comparable video of a live fire range test with a known weapon configuration so you could judge the size of the blast like-vs.-like.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
      Depends on the warhead. Probably about right for a Hellfire with HEAT warhead as most of the energy would go downward into the target. You'd have to find a comparable video of a live fire range test with a known weapon configuration so you could judge the size of the blast like-vs.-like.
      Wouldn't the blast-fragmentation warhead be more effective in this case ?
      It is just a car and they want to kill someone inside, so I think the HEAT isn't the best option here as any missile would easily penetrate the car's top.

Also, please check this video : www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvJZm8auYHU
      at 0:10, you can see that almost all of them survived the missile blast and it was too close, how come could that happen ?!

Comment

If most energy is directed into the target, wouldn't that be more ideal for areas where you don't want collateral damage to people and property?
        "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

AFAIK Israel has some small warheads for Spike ATGM which are designed to destroy such targets without causing much colateral damage.

I am pretty sure it wasnt Hellfire - explosion was too small for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel44 View Post
            AFAIK Israel has some small warheads for Spike ATGM which are designed to destroy such targets without causing much colateral damage.

I am pretty sure it wasnt Hellfire - explosion was too small for that.

It was fired from an aircraft, either a UAV or a gunship. The only Spike available for launch from gunships is the Spike-NLOS which is 70 kg and it actually has a bigger warhead than the Hellfire. Also, why haven't you considered a hellfire with a shaped charge warhead as someone suggested earlier ?

Comment

Could Israel have developed a small warhead for Hellfires? Something to take out a car, like in that video, without alot of collateral damage?

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
                Could Israel have developed a small warhead for Hellfires? Something to take out a car, like in that video, without alot of collateral damage?
                I suppose they could have. It seems impractical to use a missile meant to take out tanks, on a car, with threat of collateral damage. Or at least that missile with the same warhead meant for tanks. Theoretically, couldn't you practically have no warhead on it, and just crush the car/guy with pure kinetic energy?

But anyways, yes, they could have "shrunken" the warhead for use against regular civilian cars.
                "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Never thought of a missile with no warhead in it.

We've used hellfires on cars before, more than once. If the target is valuable enough it's worth the risk and expense.

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
                    Never thought of a missile with no warhead in it.

We've used hellfires on cars before, more than once. If the target is valuable enough it's worth the risk and expense.
                    Neither had I really haha. I mean, I'd think even just approxiamtely a frag grenade-sized warhead would be fine.

But I suppose it could be better to erase all doubt and absolutely destroy the

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X