Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What early warning radars does US have ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What early warning radars does US have ?

Hi everyone.
    I was just reading about the Sea based X band radar, and found it has a range of about 4,800 km but I read somewhere else that this system has draw back because it is "horizon radar" and not "over the horizon radar", so I'm now confused.
    If this is not OTH radar, then how come it has that very long range ?

It also came to my mind about how early warning radars work and how technology has changed that since WW2. So are they OTH radars ?
    Any info about their ranges and how far they cover ?
    Can the US detect a warship 3,000 km away in the ocean ?

I know such info iis classified and not a lot of people who know will tell. But what I need is very rough numbers just to explain. Thanks

I don't know that answer but would guess there are many more than we know about. We also need to consider space based radar etc.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Found this information,it might answer your question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Surveillance_System
      Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
        Found this information,it might answer your question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Surveillance_System

1983!!!!! Do you have something on the Wright Interceptors?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          1983!!!!! Do you have something on the Wright Interceptors?
          Suggest you re-read the article. It says "The Joint Surveillance System (JSS) is a joint United States Air Force and Federal Aviation Administration system for the atmospheric air defense of North America. It replaced the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system in 1983"

If you read down farther it list what radar stations are operational. They list the FAA sites for the JSS. See http://www.historycommons.org/entity...lance_system_1
          Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Suggest you re-read the article.
            He was Army and you want him to read something? Try again to present John with an article containing lots of pictures...cartoon flavor is preferred.
            Skip

Comment

I sleep soundly knowing the WOPR supercomputer is protecting me!!

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
              --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane93 View Post
                Hi everyone.
                I was just reading about the Sea based X band radar, and found it has a range of about 4,800 km but I read somewhere else that this system has draw back because it is "horizon radar" and not "over the horizon radar", so I'm now confused.

It also came to my mind about how early warning radars work and how technology has changed that since WW2. So are they OTH radars ?

I know such info iis classified and not a lot of people who know will tell. But what I need is very rough numbers just to explain. Thanks
                I have been curious about what long range radars the Egyptian air defense has and where they are located. Do you have any information you can pass along.

Comment

Originally posted by PitchRate View Post
                  I have been curious about what long range radars the Egyptian air defense has and where they are located. Do you have any information you can pass along.
                  After search for a long time, that is what I found.

Egyptian military forces have the followings radar systems :

1- 5 of AN/TPS-59(v)3
                  2- 9 of TPS-59M/34
                  3- 6 of an/sps-48
                  4- 42 of tps-63

and some other long range radars with unknown numbers like P-14 Tall King A, post 3m, p-12 spoon rest b.

about the locations, I haven't found any. Hope this is what you wanted.
                  Last edited by Hurricane93; 09 Nov 12, 14:01.

Comment

After search for a long time, that is what I found.

Egyptian military forces have the followings radar systems :

1- 5 of AN/TPS-59(v)3
                    2- 9 of TPS-59M/34
                    3- 6 of an/sps-48
                    4- 42 of tps-63

and some other long range radars with unknown numbers like P-14 Tall King A, post 3m, p-12 spoon rest b.

about the locations, I haven't found any. Hope that this is what you wanted.
                    Great - Thanks.

Comment

well, at Shemya Alaska you have Cobra Dane, a huge early warning radar used to spot Soviet ICBM launches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBRA_DANE

Comment

And the complex at Thule, Greenland, part of the BMEWS system with Clear, Alaska and Fylingdales, North Yorkshire, England.

We used to do 3 supply runs/year to Alert out of Thule with the Hercs only. Now they do 2/year since the addition of the Globemaster. Some good videos on the "Boxtop" site.

http://www.radomes.org/museum/documents/BMEWS.html

http://www.intelligencer.ca/2012/04/...n-forces-skill
                        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Hi everyone.

I do believe that they are aiming under a new agreement,to set up more in Western Australia.No idea what type though. lcm1
                          'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                            I do believe that they are aiming under a new agreement,to set up more in Western Australia.No idea what type though. lcm1
                            Is this it? http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=129583
                            Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                              It could well be,but I got the idea it was going to be quite extensive,including bigger use of Fremantle Docks and possibly ground forces training with our blokes in the Northern Territory. is that an incoming missile? lcm1
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X