Antitorpedo-torpedo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antitorpedo-torpedo?

It occurs to me that there is a missile for just about any possible target type; Tank,ship,missile,aircraft etc.

But has there ever been an attempt to develop an antitorpedo-torpedo?
    Strikes me as do-able.
    It wouldn't need to be long range or even very fast,it could possibly even be deployed from the hull of the vessel rather than the tubes.
    Waddya know?

I don't know but if there ever was such a development, you could expect an anti-antitorpedo-torpedo-torpedo

Paul
    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
    All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

The Navy and Penn State University’s Applied Research Laboratory are also developing an Anti-Torpedo Torpedo (ATT) that could be launched from both submarines and surface ships to intercept and destroy inbound threats. (Other key ATT players include the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Newport, R.I., and the Naval Surface Warfare Centers in Indian Head, Md., and Crane, Ind.) As currently configured, the 200-pound ATT is 6.75 inches in diameter, 105 inches long, and powered by a stored chemical-energy propulsion system similar to the Navy’s MK 50 torpedo.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87...torpedo_2.html
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Subs, like aircraft, come equipped with various countermeasures designed to confuse the homing mechanisms of torpedoes.
        http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5133541AAw2KZe

Certainly, there are other methods in use that are classified.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
          I don't know but if there ever was such a development, you could expect an anti-antitorpedo-torpedo-torpedo

Paul
          Ahaa! I have a counter for that, yes you've guessed, it's the anti-anti-antitorpedo torpedo torpedo.......errrm, torpedo?

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            The Navy and Penn State University’s Applied Research Laboratory are also developing an Anti-Torpedo Torpedo (ATT) that could be launched from both submarines and surface ships to intercept and destroy inbound threats. (Other key ATT players include the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Newport, R.I., and the Naval Surface Warfare Centers in Indian Head, Md., and Crane, Ind.) As currently configured, the 200-pound ATT is 6.75 inches in diameter, 105 inches long, and powered by a stored chemical-energy propulsion system similar to the Navy’s MK 50 torpedo.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87...torpedo_2.html
            Dammit,there go the patent rights!

Comment

Aside classic measures as launch detectors and decoys,which are in existence for few decades already,there have been successful efforts to develop anti-torpedo torpedoes.

I can't really list all in existence,or current projects (I don't follow naval advancements that much).

MU-90 torpedo used by several European navies,developed in Italy and France in '90,have a special "torpedo hard kill" version.

Russians also designed Paket-E/NK system,which use this torpedo-torpedo concept to protect surface ships.
              The target designation sonar installed on ship automatically detect torpedoes fired against friendly surface ships,then it determine and calculate enemy torpedo path and send it to the automated fire control subsystem.Torpedo is then automatically launched towards intercept point.

For both systems, brochure kill probability is quite high.Not a lot is spoken about this methods,which will probably appear in larger numbers in next years due to computers that can efficiently calculate impact points.Currently MRLS launched systems that throw decoys and depth charges on incoming torpedoes hold a primate,probably because they can engage larger number of targets and they they are lighter.
              It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
              Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Although not exactly a Torpedo the Soviet origin RBU-1000 and RBU-6000 are ASW rockets with anti- torpedo capabilites.

Comment

Hi Slim.
                  Never heard of them mate,are they similar to asroc?
                  Asroc is a missile fired in the general direction of a sub and on immersion it deploys or becomes a torp, is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by flash View Post
                    Hi Slim.
                    Asroc is a missile fired in the general direction of a sub and on immersion it deploys or becomes a torp, is that right?
                    That would be a general description of ASROC yes.
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                      Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by flash View Post
                        Hi Slim.

Here you go

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...p_VZTUOVvYXcCg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j..._oWT32VuYCnRKA

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...fSQ4dYjEzpa6-w

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vqPBumOpI6mIlA
                        It was interesting to learn that they can even be deployed against Frogmen and divers in addition to it anti torpedo and ASW functions.
                        Last edited by GCoyote; 26 Oct 12, 21:17. Reason: [I] fixed

Comment

Here is a little more information.
                          http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...awuCnnOJWLZedw

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                            That would be a general description of ASROC yes.
                            Hi Tsar.
                            I'm glad you recognised my technically brilliant description of ASROC, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post
                              Hi Nikolas.
                              I don't speak Russian but the graphics are eloquent enough.Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X