Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WW2 Warplanes vs Current Era - Beauty and Appeal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Warplanes vs Current Era - Beauty and Appeal?

The idea for this poll thread came from another thread, where one of our members said that the 'classic' fighter planes of the WW2 era - Spitfire, Bf 109, Fw 190, Mustang, Yak etc - were more beautiful in his eyes than their modern counterparts. It gave me the idea for this poll thread.
    Originally posted by Hansika View Post
    I dont know for you guys but those machines from ww2 (Yak, Spit,Focke,Bf 109,Mustang) look more beautiful than this what we have today...
    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...=121618&page=2

So, you are hereby invited to vote in this poll and tell us what you think; and - if you can put it into words - tell us why. Do you find certain planes, from a certain era, particularly beautiful? Inspiring? Exciting? Sexy, even?
    • For the WW2 era, we'll take planes that entered service, or were already in service, from 1935 to no later than the end of 1945.
    • For the 'Current' era, we'll take planes that entered service from 1971 to the present.
    • I've also included the 'In Between' era (for want of a better term); this being 1946-1970. Some very interesting and appealing planes emerged and served during this period; the MiG-15 and the F-86 Sabre, for example.
    I've made it 'multiple choice' so you can vote for more than one era, if you wish.

In your eyes, how do the warplanes of the 'Current' era compare with those of the WW2 era (or the 'In Between' era) for looks?
    In general, which do you find the most appealing?

If you have the time, illustrate the planes that appeal to you the most with photos.

You don't have to restrict yourself to fighter planes. All warplanes are elegible for consideration.

Remember, folks: This is all entirely in "the eye of the beholder" regarding looks only. Pretty much just for fun but who knows, we may learn a few things into the bargain.

Enjoy.
    WW2 Era (1935-45)
    48.78%
    'In Between' Era (1946-70)
    8.54%
    'Current' Era (1971 on)
    20.73%
    No Particular Preference
    18.29%
    Other (please explain)
    3.66%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 20 Oct 12, 01:34. Reason: Update opening post
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Other: a brightly painted Albatross D.III beats them all.
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
      Other: a brightly painted Albatross D.III beats them all.
      I guess I should have offered another option for WW1 era.
      Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

I opted for the "in between era ".

Aircraft such as the Hawker Hunter, the F-86 Sabre, the recently discussed Avro Arrow, F-105 Republic Thunderchief. SAAB Lansen and Draken, all brilliant-looking aircraft, I think.
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

I have no particular preference.
          Rojik's Albatross or a Camel, or a SpAD, or an SE5. Pup, 1 1/2 Strutter, Neuports.
          Hawker Fury, Fiat CR32.
          Spits, Mustang, Jug, Fiat G55, 109, Zeke, 262.
          Saber, Hawker Hunter, MiG 17, Viggen.
          F15, MiG 29, Rafael, F22, SU 37.

That's just fighter...Too many to choose from.

Comment

I voted for the current era, several modern Russian warplanes are just jaw dropping gorgeous. Also, several European and US planes also get the nod, but I will add a more detailed list later if I get time, gotta get the BBQ ready.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
            Mark Twain.

Comment

The beauty of propeller driven aircraft just has to be by far the best (Beauty & Appeal) the most romantic ……
              Both in Looks and sound……..As noted before the sound of a Merlin (1,2,3,4)has no equal
              A spitfire, Bf-109 or a Mosquito in a slow banked turn or B-17 & B-24 slowly climbing away at take-off

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”

Comment

In between era

SR71 Blackbird

There are many great looking planes from all eras but for me this one is the top of the list. Recon for sure but how many"fighters" were used in the recon role?

Then the B1 is a thing of deadly beauty to me.

Last edited by Half Pint John; 20 Oct 12, 05:12.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  In between era

SR71 Blackbird

There are many great looking planes from all eras but for me this one is the top of the list. Recon for sure but how many"fighters" were used in the recon role?

John, the SR-71 may be 'recon' but still qualifies as a military aircraft (warplane) IMO. Yes, definitely an aircraft of great beauty.

Comment

I have always liked the F4U Corsair. Reminds me of a muscle car and a angry giant bird swooping in on its kill. So I guess my selection would be the WWII era, though I think all eras have their beauties (F/A-18 for example). And stinkers (which I won't list because I know it will start a flame war).
                    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      In between era

SR71 Blackbird

Both definitely beasts of beauty.

I've seen the B-1 up close flying and I'm amazed at the way she flies. Turns and burns almost like a fighter; absolutely amazing, given her size.
                      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I love piston engined fighters...Me 262 looks better than Sabre at least for me (Sabre was inspired by Me 262 i think.) So between-era is kicked from my mind. Maybe it sounds strange but Fiat G.55 Centauro is my top plane. Macchi MC.205V Veltro looks good too. Why i love Italian planes so much?

Wait Panther how do you mean "Sexy?"

Centauro:

Folgore:

Veltro:

Last edited by Hansika; 20 Oct 12, 12:14.
                        "Give me 100 000 croatian soldiers and I will conqure all world" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Soldiers are coming and leaving while war will never end.

Comment

WWII era all the way. Of course, the other eras of war planes have good looking aircraft as well. The majority of beauty however, IMO, lies in the wwii planes with the Spitfire leading the way.
                          If we could stretch the wwii timeline for poll purposes, I would throw the A-1 Skyraider in there too. Just a bada$$ looking aircraft that carries the same 'ugly' beauty to me like the A-10.
                          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Tough decision, but I have a soft spot for piston engine aircraft, including my #1 favorite.

"Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                              Tough decision, but I have a soft spot for piston engine aircraft, including my #1 favorite.

What are these beauties carrying?
                              "Give me 100 000 croatian soldiers and I will conqure all world" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Soldiers are coming and leaving while war will never end.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X