• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convair B-58 Hustler First Flight 11 November 1956

Cool archival movie.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Good info……..
    The B-58 a great aircraft and looks good too Twice the speed of sound – in a bomber 1960 shame it had a short life……
    Technological wonder with blistering performance but limited to the strategic role its fuel and weapon –pod concept

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”

Comment

When I was in elementary school we frequently had class interrupted by the sonic booms from these as they flew out of Bunker Hill AFB 60+ miles to the NE.

Comment

Very cool aircraft but impractical aircraft because too much was sacrificed in exchange for supersonic speed. The quest for high supersonic speed in the 1950s was a mistake. Flying at a high supersonic speed causes all kinds of problems; you will have to slow down in order to accomplish your mission and preserve fuel. In actual combat, supersonic sorties were extremely rare throughout history. During the Vietnam war, the few foolish American jet pilots who tried to go supersonic ran out of fuel right over downtown Hanoi and were taken prisoner...

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Amazing for 1950's tech!
          "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
          Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Hey, it was the space age! A lot more modern then than now what with guided missiles, radio phones, even air conditioners for the home!

Comment

My father worked for a sub-contrator that built engine parts and fittings for the B58, F-106 and F111 during the 1950s through the 1970s. He worked there until 1993 and built many different engine parts for many aircraft, but he was very proud of these three because the company went with a part he helped to design on each aircraft.
              Kevin Kenneally
              Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
              Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X