Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparing Early Cold War 7.62*51 Nato battle Rifles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Early Cold War 7.62*51 Nato battle Rifles.

Just wanted to compare three famous battle rifles of the early cold war years.
    The M-14 vs the FN-FAL vs the H&K G-3. What were the strenghts and shortcomings of each. What are your opinions and experiences of each. Part of the motivation for this thread is to pick one to add to the collection.

The H&K I shot had more recoil than I thought it would and the sights sucked. The front one looked like a long, skinny needle. The M14 would be the most accurate but also probably the heaviest. If you want a FAL, get one from DS Arms. Anything made by Century Arms gives a bad name to "American made".

Comment

M-14. Once zeroed in, I could easily pick off a silhouette target at 400 meters. The heavy stock could break a jaw without being shattered in the process. Easy to perry a fixed bayonet from an enemy soldier. Recoil was not bad for firing the standard 7.62 ammo which was also shared by the M-60 machine gun.

It was, of course, quite heavy and not good in close quarters such as room to room combat.
      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I completely support Johns' comment about DSArms if you decide on the FAL route. They make very high quality rifles and carbines.

Out of the three types listed I would probably exclude the G3 off the bat. I'm not a huge fan of HK stuff except their subguns, more specifically their MP5s. I don't think they're bad, but they're not what I'm used to, again subguns excepted.

Between the M14 line and the FAL line it's going to come down to small things. Both were widely produced and spare parts or accessories are relatively easily found. The sights on the M14 series are, in my opinion, some of the best ever put on a battle rifle, they are better than the FAL sights. The FAL has a pistol grip, which is nice if you like that sort of ergonomics, however it has an adjustable gas regulator which, again in my opinion only, counts against it. Neither weapon is exactly ideal to mount an optic on, but the M14 is better than the FAL in this regard because of the FALs top dust cover not being very solidly attached.

Either weapon is a good design and a well made one should serve well for a long time...just make sure you purchase from a good source.

Comment

I was issued and fired the M14 for qualification many times. I fired the G3 once on a range with the old German Border Police.

G3 has a narrower butt than the 14 and you get every once of recoil. Didn't care for the sights that much. The M14 has great sights, imo. Once set I had the same battle sight zero on all the ones I used. 12-0. Then all that wood on the 14. Something about wood that I love.

If the need would ever come up I'd take the M14 hands down. I still know it and just might still be able to strip it blind folded. Training, training, training. A lot of stuff filed under the old docs in ones head.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Anyone ever try any of the Mark 14 style EBRs? Like Fulton Armorys or Knight Armaments? Or tried any other Sage style chassis' in 7.62?

Comment

Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
              Anyone ever try any of the Mark 14 style EBRs? Like Fulton Armorys or Knight Armaments? Or tried any other Sage style chassis' in 7.62?
              I didn't know Knights made EBRs, I thought they stuck with the AR styles. I have some experience with their SR25's, which are outstanding in my opinion. I also own an Armalite AR10A4 carbine, which would be my pick over all the weapons listed for a battle rifle. Great sights, M16 style controls, great ergos, good mounting options for a light or optics, excellent reliability, and good accuracy. One of the best .308 battle rifles out there IMHO.

Comment

Having no previous experience with a .308 semi auto I went in for a DPMS LR-.308 with a 24" match barrel about four years ago. Although my use is purely recreational and I do not shoot it all that much I do not have any complaints. The trigger is on the heavy side and it lacks a forward assist and a dust cover though- do not know if that will hurt anything.
                What I really like about it was the 1:10 twist and its interchangeability with the 6.5 Creedmoor which I have really grown to like. Also the price of $1100 seemed like a bargain.

Comment

I agree with the comments so far about the M14 being the best option. I had a DSA Congo (FAL with 18" barrel), I liked it but tended to favor the M14 (M1A1) more. I had a CETME clone and I did NOT care for the way the G3 action cycles when firing. I am told that a genuine HK91 is a much better shooting weapon, but I prefer the known M14 to the very expensive and unknown HK91.
                  "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics"
                  -Omar Bradley
                  "Not everyone who studies logistics is a professional logistician, and there is no way to understand when you don't know what you don't know."
                  -Anonymous US Army logistician

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post
                    Having no previous experience with a .308 semi auto I went in for a DPMS LR-.308 with a 24" match barrel about four years ago. Although my use is purely recreational and I do not shoot it all that much I do not have any complaints. The trigger is on the heavy side and it lacks a forward assist and a dust cover though- do not know if that will hurt anything.
                    What I really like about it was the 1:10 twist and its interchangeability with the 6.5 Creedmoor which I have really grown to like. Also the price of $1100 seemed like a bargain.
                    The lack of a dust cover is actually a significant deficiency for a field rifle, but the lack of a forward assist is not. The FA is one of those things that can turn a malf into a jam...a small problem into a big one. The folks I train are not allowed to use the FA during malfunction drills but I will throw dirt into the weapon if they don't close the dust cover. I personally have never owned a DPMS, having heard their QC is hit and miss.

Comment

It saddens me to hear that the first rifle of Federal Germany was to bad, any idea what went wrong and why?
                      Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
                      Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
                      USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Acheron View Post
                        It saddens me to hear that the first rifle of Federal Germany was to bad, any idea what went wrong and why?
                        I don't think they are necessarily bad, they're just not what many of us are used to in the west. The sights are a weak point in my opinion, but if you're comfortable with them they are probably perfectly serviceable.

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                          I don't think they are necessarily bad, they're just not what many of us are used to in the west. The sights are a weak point in my opinion, but if you're comfortable with them they are probably perfectly serviceable.
                          The recoil spring was not as good as the the M14 and for me the sights were not in the same class M14. Firing it phrone on full auto was like getting hit from a truck. One of my men fired it on auto, phrone on a wooden bench. He was over 200 lbs and a combat vet from Vietnam. The G3 moved him backwards. He had no positive words for it. In his opinion the M60 mg was less abusive to the user than the G3.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            The recoil spring was not as good as the the M14 and for me the sights were not in the same class M14. Firing it phrone on full auto was like getting hit from a truck. One of my men fired it on auto, phrone on a wooden bench. He was over 200 lbs and a combat vet from Vietnam. The G3 moved him backwards. He had no positive words for it. In his opinion the M60 mg was less abusive to the user than the G3.
                            Well sure, but the pig weighed in at like 24 pounds, the G3 is less than half that and it has no bi-pod. One would expect it to be more punnishing than a 60. I still don't like the G3, but if I'm honest it's more personal preference than anything else. I completely agree about the sights, though. The M14 sights are nothing short of outstanding for a battle rifle.

Comment

M14 is the most pleasureable rifle I've ever fired. G3 absolutely abused my scrawny ass.

I easily understand why old Marine friends still want to get their hands around the throats of the armorers who took away their M14's.
                              Skip

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X