Halifax-Class Frigates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax-Class Frigates

I just saw one (Ville De Quebec) that is visiting Detroit/Windsor and it got me thinking. They seem to be well rounded ships except for their main gun armament. Does anyone know why they went with the Bofors 57mm instead of the OTO Melara 76mm? They already had teh 76mm on their destroyers and although it is slower firing, the rate is still very high and it throws a much larger, more capable round.

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
    I just saw one (Ville De Quebec) that is visiting Detroit/Windsor and it got me thinking. They seem to be well rounded ships except for their main gun armament. Does anyone know why they went with the Bofors 57mm instead of the OTO Melara 76mm? They already had teh 76mm on their destroyers and although it is slower firing, the rate is still very high and it throws a much larger, more capable round.
    The 76mm round isn't that much larger or more capable. Given the Bofors higher rate of fire both put pretty much the same amount of lead in the air. Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Comment

The role of the 57mm is close area air defence, thus a quick rate of fire, quick tracking and best load out in the available magazine space (read - smallest round that can do the job but that the ship can carry a reasonable amount of) were important.

VILLE DE QUEBEC and her sisters are undergoing the Frigate Life Extension (FELEX) mid life refit. The major portion of the program is dedicated to upgrading electronic systems throughout the ships, bringing them up to 21st century standards. Here is a brief description:

http://www.materiel.forces.gc.ca/en/hcmf-mhc.page?
      Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X