Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Force-fields

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Force-fields

    Star Trek-style force-field armour being developed by military scientists.

    A space-age "force field" capable of protecting armoured vehicles and tanks by repelling incoming fire is being developed by British military scientists.

    The new type of armour will use pulses of electrical energy to repel rockets, shrapnel and other ammunition that might damage a vehicle.

    Researchers at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl), which is the research and development arm of the Ministry of Defence, claim it is possible to incorporate material known as supercapacitors into armour of a vehicle to turn it into a kind of giant battery.

    When a threat from incoming fire is detected by the vehicle, the energy stored in the supercapacitor can be rapidly dumped onto the metal plating on the outside of the vehicle, producing a strong electromagnetic field..............................
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...cientists.html
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

  • #2
    Not a lot of technical info in that article so it's hard to figure out exactly how it works.

    Plus, there are probably some safety issues, as this type of system could fry friendly troops near the vehicle depending, on the details of implementation.

    A quick check on the web didn't produce anything more in depth. It will probably be classified for another decade or so.
    Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
      Not a lot of technical info in that article so it's hard to figure out exactly how it works.

      Plus, there are probably some safety issues, as this type of system could fry friendly troops near the vehicle depending, on the details of implementation.

      A quick check on the web didn't produce anything more in depth. It will probably be classified for another decade or so.
      That's because it is typical British engineering. The five people working on this are using a garden shed for their lab and bits of stuff from here and there to cobble something together that eventually works half arsed. They will then give this incredible invention to the US who will mass produce a working version of it that Britain will then buy and put in their AFV...

      Comment


      • #4
        We've heard other ideas along this line over the past several years but no production ready technology yet. The article also mentioned previous work also referred to as 'capacitative armor' which we've previously discussed here http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?p=633585

        It isn't clear from this new article what may have changed since 2004.

        Edit: I just found the text version of a 2002 article, also from The Telegraph, that discusses "electric armor" but it's copyrighted and no longer available online.
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

        Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
          The article also mentioned previous work also referred to as 'capacitative armor' which we've previously discussed here http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?p=633585
          That was a fun thread from a long time ago!
          Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
            That was a fun thread from a long time ago!
            Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I saw the freakin' date.
            Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

            Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              That's because it is typical British engineering. The five people working on this are using a garden shed for their lab and bits of stuff from here and there to cobble something together that eventually works half arsed. They will then give this incredible invention to the US who will mass produce a working version of it that Britain will then buy and put in their AFV...
              So prey tell! What invention that 'half arsed worked' (in other words didn't work) that
              you Yanks made work? Paul
              Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 02 Sep 12, 23:12.
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

              Comment

              Latest Topics

              Collapse

              Working...
              X