Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMP

Hi all,

In my introduction thread, I said when I meet the "5 post" in order to insert hyper link requirements - I'd include links to my think tank and our legislation in which the previous United States House of Representatives backed unanimously. Might I add, I work for a bi-partisan think tank that deals with Electro-magnetic pulse storms and how to protect our critical infrastructure

Link to my think tank: EMPACT America, Inc.

Link to my think tank drafted bi-partisan legislation, that received unanimous backing from the previous United States House of Representatives...but stalled in the Senate:

Official Bill Link: SHIELD ACT (H.R. 668)

Looking forward to here your thoughts and opinions.

Thank's.
    Sincerely,

G

About a year ago, plus, the July 2011 (Vol. VIII, No. 3) issue of ACG presented an article on this topic, from "human caused" sources which sited the website you do;
    http://empactamerica.org/

That article was titled: " America in the Dark (Doomsday - America's Greatest Threat) " and authored by Cynthia E. Ayers & Sarah J.M. Kolberg. Discussion on this article/topic was rather mixed, and IIRC correctly, a bit 'lackluster' ~ on assorted threads of Stategic theme at the times.

NEVER-THE-LESS; the topic, whether of natural of human-caused origins is one I'll agree is worthy of much future disscussion and planning, especially since both causes encompass similar defensive measures hence better justify the costs and efforts needed versus the consequences of neglect.

One of the more cost-effective and likely real scenarios to occur and have major impact while offerring a great "bang for buck" return in preventatives .....
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

Yup - that was us! Sorry, I was unaware there was a similar posting. My fault, I am, new.
      Sincerely,

G

Comment

Don't worry! My first thread turned out to be the stuff they put on the main page. So you didn't have as much trouble as me! Welcome by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by ginsight View Post
          Yup - that was us! Sorry, I was unaware there was a similar posting. My fault, I am, new.
          Nothing to "fault" about, and yeah , noticed you looked to be 'new'. Still a valid topic and like I said above, here's hoping it gets some new traction.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K720_Iskander
            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Sounds like a 'weapons' type discussion. Let's move it to "Weapons of War" and see what others have to say.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

This is the BEST document I have found on EMP threats.
                http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/cst/bugs_ch12.pdf

EMP is not that dangerous. Unless a massed attack was made, it would only represent a momentary disruption of our infrastructure and equipment. As bad as a flood or hurricane.

Protection from EMP is as simple as wrapping tin foil around a device. The metal in most cars would protect them from damage unless the EMP came from just the right angle.

Likewise, why make EMP attacks with a nuke when you can just nuke targets directly and obliterate them?

The threat of EMP attacks is not one of those things keeping me awake at night...
                Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

To create a useful, large scale EMP attack against a nation as big as the US, you need missiles to get the warheads to the correct locations and altitudes. We will track those missiles. We will use real nukes on whoever tried to EMP us. Game over.

Separately, a lot of businesses have to have back up power and power conditioners on their systems already. A lot of new homes are being outfitted with whole house surge protection. DoD already has an initiative to to increase the off grid power available for major military installations around the country. Trying to sort out how all of this would play out in a real attack is best done over a few beers with good music in the background.
                  Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Lights out: House plan would protect nation's electricity from solar flare, nuclear bomb

http://washingtonexaminer.com/lights...rticle/2532038

Comment

The Drudge headline(and link);
                      REPORT: USA Not Prepared to Defend Against Catastrophic Nuclear Event...

Another site/version of the same;
                      https://www.scribd.com/doc/312800186/EMP-White-Paper

Comment

Meh...

Given some warning (say an hour or two) I could easily protect most of my electronic "stuff" from such an occurrence.
                        I own a 5.5 KW generator that has no electronics in its controls so it's immune to EMP when not operating.
                        That means I could recover from such an event in nothing flat even if my neighbors couldn't.

Not a big deal for me.

Comment

Starfish Prime.

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                            To create a useful, large scale EMP attack against a nation as big as the US, you need missiles to get the warheads to the correct locations and altitudes. We will track those missiles. We will use real nukes on whoever tried to EMP us. Game over.

Separately, a lot of businesses have to have back up power and power conditioners on their systems already. A lot of new homes are being outfitted with whole house surge protection. DoD already has an initiative to to increase the off grid power available for major military installations around the country. Trying to sort out how all of this would play out in a real attack is best done over a few beers with good music in the background.
                            Sorry to dredge up old threads, but I'm wondering if I'm tracking correctly: Are all of these green and solar initiatives actually meant to make installations more sustainable? I can support that. I had trouble supporting it as a socio-economic experiment that doesn't yet pay for itself.

Comment

Okay, out in the open. Any dweeb can make a EMP bomb. Its a physics tool.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/doe/...s/00326620.pdf

Okay not Ozarks dweeb but just about any other fool.

The only solution is to harden our infrastructure. Otherwise millions will perish.
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X