Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Apaches Grounded?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are Apaches Grounded?

    I haven't heard of them since that unfortunate attack on RG south of Baghdad in the first week of the war. Rumor says the Army has lost faith in them due to their vulnerability to small arms fire.

    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

  • #2
    It's possible but I thought it was already well known how vulnerable the Apache is in urban warfare.
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

    Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

    Comment


    • #3
      I think they continued to use them even after that attack,and from what i have read the "disaster" that it was overblown.The whole fight took place over the period of several hours with the Apaches going back to base reloading and refueling and going back into the fight.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Chuck
        It's possible but I thought it was already well known how vulnerable the Apache is in urban warfare.
        Sorry to disappoint you, Chuck, some Apaches did still engage a few Iraqi units.

        And I highly disagree with some people's assessment that Apaches failed to accomplish their initial mission.

        There were more than two dozens of Apaches out to attack Medina Division a couple of weeks ago, and ONLY a COUPLE of Apaches were downed if at all. That means despite their vulernability to small arms, Apaches stood up pretty well.

        10 to 15 Iraqi tanks were destroyed, and only a couple of Apaches were downed, as I best can recall, one of them had mechanical problems. I remember reading somewhere that Randy Young, one of captured Apache pilots saw another Apache that had fire beneath its belly.

        I think the USA learned its lesson, better to destroy the AA units first, then unleash Apaches against these tanks. Apaches faced a powerful AA gunfire that were designed precisly for this purpose, deterring helichopter assaults.

        Dan
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

        "Aim small, miss small."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cheetah772


          Sorry to disappoint you, Chuck, some Apaches did still engage a few Iraqi units.

          And I highly disagree with some people's assessment that Apaches failed to accomplish their initial mission.
          Well I think the A-10 was used more in the final week but the Apaches used as well.

          Also, I'm extremely disappointed.
          "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

          Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Chuck


            Well I think the A-10 was used more in the final week but the Apaches used as well.

            Also, I'm extremely disappointed.
            I know this is a dumb question, but can anybody answer this question:

            What's difference in using A10s and Apaches? Is it Apaches' ability to distgunish friendlies and foes? Is it A10s' speed that was key to lightning strikes? Or was it A10s' longer range?

            What would make a commander decide to use either Apaches or A10s?

            Sorry to bring out more than one question!

            Dan
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

            "Aim small, miss small."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cheetah772


              I know this is a dumb question, but can anybody answer this question:

              What's difference in using A10s and Apaches? Is it Apaches' ability to distgunish friendlies and foes? Is it A10s' speed that was key to lightning strikes? Or was it A10s' longer range?

              What would make a commander decide to use either Apaches or A10s?

              Sorry to bring out more than one question!

              Dan
              Apaches are a Divison level assest that are multi roled.
              The A-10's are a theater level weapon that must be assigned a target. Apaches can stay on target for a long period of time, the A-10 has to make runs and can't stay on station as long.
              Each weapon has its own role.

              As for the second question. Lets say I was a divisonal commander. MY recon force has just spotted a Battalion sized armored forced roaring towards my flank. The Apaches and Kiowa's(Don't forget the role they play!) can be swiftly assigned to interdect the collum and tear it up while I redeploy forces and bring my MLRS into action. This buys me time and extends the amount of time the enemy is in a combat situation. It is very possible the enemy will disengage without ever getting to my forces.

              Now lets think that I am advancing and am engaged in a fierce brigade sized pitched battle. Intel reports another Brigade is being moved into support the enemy. I can request A-10's be sent in to interdect the enemy colums and tear it a new one before it ever gets into action. Once done with that they can then augment my Apaches in the CAS role.

              Remeber, firepower is your friend; and the only thing better is even more firepower.
              Last edited by Tim McBride; 14 Apr 03, 23:54.
              "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

              Comment


              • #8
                Tim, thanks for pointing out the differences.

                Dan
                Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

                "Aim small, miss small."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Last night I saw footage of Apaches attacking an Iraqi military base outside of Tikrit yesterday.

                  Comment

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X