Crossbowman or Archer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossbowman or Archer?

What would you rather have been during the Middle Ages: a crossbowman or an archer? Please include a post explaining your choice.
    Crossbowman
    17.76%
    Archer (Longbow, Recurved bow, composite bow, other)
    77.57%
    Don't know/don't care
    4.67%

Faster reloads so more rounds (arrows) fired. Easier to maintain, more accurate (if properly trained). Plus there are no great battles where hundreds of knights were killed by crossbows.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Archer, no contest. I've seen competitions between the two - the difference in rate of fire is astonishing.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Unquestionably I would chose to be an archer, for all the reasons already stated.
        "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

A longbow or re-curved bow requires a lot of skill and practice. A crossbow can be used by almost anyone. Give me skilled labor anytime.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Mongol bowman. I can outrange and outshoot a crossbow, and penetrate armor just as well.

Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
            http://www.mormon.org
            http://www.sca.org
            http://www.scv.org/
            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by CatholicCrusade View Post
              What would you rather have been during the Middle Ages: a crossbowman or an archer? Please include a post explaining your choice.
              IIRC, it took ten years of intensive training to make a competant long bowman. Any idiot could pick up a crossbow and make it work in no time at all. If you were to put a crossbow bolt into a knight's horse's eye, that knight is going to be in a world of shite, especially after he gets pinned to the ground by the horse's dead body.
              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

tough decision:

Longbow -
                Pros - High rate of fire
                Cons - Needs lots of training

Crossbow -
                Pros - simple to use, really dangerous (to target)
                Cons - not - so - high rate of fire

does anybody have more pros/cons?

Comment

I would definately go with bowman any day. Unless the enemy had plate armor and the crossbowmen had enough time to be effective.
                  "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                  -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Originally posted by AIrchallenged View Post
                    I would definately go with bowman any day. Unless the enemy had plate armor and the crossbowmen had enough time to be effective.
                    Plate armour can easily be defeated by a Longbow - I've seen it done with my own eyes. There really is a negligible difference in penetration between the two.

Dr. S.
                    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Which of these guys looks the coolest?

Dr. S.
                      Attached Files

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

That test is hardly fair Dr. I mean the archer has a fantastic beard and the crossbowman is as smug as Costello. Sorry for non-Australians out there who might not get that.

Also I chose archer for the reasons above.

Comment

Originally posted by Roonburg View Post
                          That test is hardly fair Dr. I mean the archer has a fantastic beard and the crossbowman is as smug as Costello. Sorry for non-Australians out there who might not get that.

Also I chose archer for the reasons above.
                          LOL!

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I prefer crossbow because it was more lethal also towards a medieval armor.
                            Historia Magistra Vitae.
                            M. T. Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Warlord View Post
                              I prefer crossbow because it was more lethal also towards a medieval armor.
                              No, not really. As I said, I've been to demonstrations and there's really nothing in it. A Longbow firing a bodkin arrow could easily penetrate armour plate and come out the other side of the Knight wearing it.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X