Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

What are your favorite moments in the Medieval Era

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roachthegreat View Post
    The longbowmen weren't actually at the bottom of the social ladder. They were in the middle between peasants and nobles - like knights, they just didn't own fiefs, they owned personal land.
    Well that kinda makes sense-they were an important entity in their armies.
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Indeed. The weakness of such a levy of the yeomanry was that casualties quickly depleted reserves.

Comment

• Lord Wentworth

[B][I][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] Sir Thomas Wentworth 6th Lord Le Despenser of Nettlestead, Suffolk. While in the House of Lords he signed the letter to the Pope concerning the Kings divorce13 July 1530. One of the peers that tried Queen Anne Boleyn 1536Led 100 of the Kings men in the Northern Rebellion. Also, a 'peer' in the trials of the Marquess of Exeter and Lord Montagu.He served under the Duke of Norfolk at the siege of Montreuil 1544, and was involved in the attempt to put down Ketts rebellion.
        He was my 22 generation grandfather, busy man.
        Attached Files

Comment

• My family crest dating back to very ancient times and decsendant family from the 3 great irish kings. since the romans left britain they have
          Fought against saxons. danes and many other vikings as well as numerous wars in ireland.
          Many members went on to serve in the british armx with great distinction.

Comment

• the Fall of Rome, Defenses of Constantinople, and I love Braveheart so of course the Scottish Wars for Independence

Comment

• Battle at Maritza river
              it was shamefull debacl of finnest Serbian knights when in night time they enter camp of ottomans,
              mighty knight couldnt do anything and due panic a lot of leaders died
              That was atempt to conquer Jedrine (Adrianpolis) while main forces of ottomans are away
              that left toothless Serbian army for most important battle of that era,world changing
              Battle of Kosovo 1389
              even asked form Pope and hungarians and other countrys help to finally repel ottomans and save christianity
              there was no help other the Serbians.
              none stand after defeat to give resistence ,so it was interlude for fall of Constantinopolis Romanian lands Hungarian land and to come to Wien
              Would be ottomans stopped if defeated? for sure
              no foothold left in Europe with byzantine and venice fleet there
              in ottoman army hten, were Sultan and both of his sons
              so if lost and killed tehre would be vacuum in rulership
              huge impact in my opinion
              cause other wars in europe in those days ,were who will rule land and not changing way of tradition faith ect

Comment

• Caledonia 685: Pict leader Brude map Bile tells Northumbrian leader Ecgfrith, no more payoff. An enraged Northumbrian army was led far into the north to a narrow, swampy location, where several tribes wiped out Ecgfrith and almost his entire army. Northumbria was never quite the same after this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Draco Borealis View Post
                  The battle of Grunwald/Tannenberg 1410. between the Teutonic Knights Order/western volunteer Knights-guests and forcess of Kingdom of Poland and Grand Principality of Lithuania. this battle braked the back of the Order and led to foundation Of Rzeczpospolita Obojga Narodów the Confederacy and later Federal (republic) state (1569) of Poland, Lithuania,Latwia,Belarus and Ukraine, which ruled the Eastern Europe from XV to XVII century, and was couter balance for Germany and Russia.
                  Yes, the battle of Grunwald was something of a turning point. The much maligned Crusades were significant in terms of European civilization. Apart from Azincourt (who does not love a good fight?), of greater long-term benefit to the English language and to civilisation in general, the birth of printing...
                  Gutenberg and in development of the art Caxton were geniuses.
                  Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

• Charles "the Hammer" Martel at Tours in 732, where he smashed the invading forces of the Caliphate and turned back the tide of Muslim conquest in Europe.

And another for me would be the end of e Medieval Age... but when WAS that?
                    It seems like it was still going on in some places when the Renascence was already coming to an end in other places.
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• One of my my favorite periods in Medieval history is definitely the Viking Age. When I was in public school and we went over Medieval history, we of course glossed over everything. However there was hardly any mention of the Norse. Aside from the occasional mention of the raids against the Kingdoms in the British Isles.
                      I always found the Norse a very interesting subject. What we know about their cultural structure, and their religion is very interesting to me. Not to mention the trading voyages they embarked upon. I have a friend in Weliki Nowgorod and we discuss the Viking Age quite a bit.
                      I could list an immense amount of reasons why it is one of my favorite periods in history, but that would only cause this post to get longer. I will say however the Sagas are some of my favorite pieces of reading material.

Comment

• My favorite period is the hundred years war. Situation reversals are very numerous.

Comment

• My all time favourite is the point during the Black Plague when people realised that, in spite of all the rhetoric about the plague as "Sent by God to punish people living in sin", the common people noticed that the clergy and the monks were dieing too.

It was the first great chink in the armour. If these people who had supposedly lead exemplary lives were dieing at the same rate as everyone else, what did that say for their explanations of the plague, their own existense, and for the Church itself?

Reality has a way of overtaking pius fairy stories, or pronouncements concerning religious philosphy.

I feel that the Black Death was that point reached where the Age of the Common man started to become a recognisable reality, rather than being trapped in a sea of dogmatic assertions.

Please Note....I have nothing personal against Christianity. But history is history, and if the Black Death were anything as the clergy of the day described it to be, they themselves would have been immune to it.
                          My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                          GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                          Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

• My favorite period to study is the Crusades. I suppose my favorite moments of the Crusades were the friendships between Christians and Muslims. I suppose there were conversations being held between these noble Muslims and Christians where they would talk about how maybe in 50, 500 or 1000 years there will be more friendships between the people of the Cross and the people of the Crescent. And praise be to God today there are many cases of friendships between Christian and Muslim.

I also enjoy studying Christian Kingdoms, the Jewish Kingdoms, the Muslim Kingdoms and how folks of the middle ages would point to the teachings of Islam, Judaism and Christianity as reasoning for building hospitals, helping the poor, building schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
                              My favorite period to study is the Crusades. I suppose my favorite moments of the Crusades were the friendships between Christians and Muslims. I suppose there were conversations being held between these noble Muslims and Christians where they would talk about how maybe in 50, 500 or 1000 years there will be more friendships between the people of the Cross and the people of the Crescent. And praise be to God today there are many cases of friendships between Christian and Muslim.

I also enjoy studying Christian Kingdoms, the Jewish Kingdoms, the Muslim Kingdoms and how folks of the middle ages would point to the teachings of Islam, Judaism and Christianity as reasoning for building hospitals, helping the poor, building schools.
                              I always wondered how many of those Crusaders in Outremer actually spoke Arabic.
                              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                                I always wondered how many of those Crusaders in Outremer actually spoke Arabic.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the first Battle of Courtrai, aka Golden Spurs .
                                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X