Medieval Poop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medieval Poop

I had heard about the Lloyds Bank Turd & Ancient Paleoscatologist Andrew Bone on CBC Radio finds 1000 year old Viking Turd.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyds_Bank_coprolite
    https://vimeo.com/18311924
    There is an even older case in an Oregon Cave that dates back to 14,300 years old... http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/280

I couldn't believe this is somebodies job and they have to go to school for a long time to qualify imagine getting up in the morning to go to work!

Regard's Patrick
    Last edited by SmackUm; 13 May 16, 13:13.

Originally posted by SmackUm View Post
    I had heard about the Lloyds Bank Turd & Ancient Paleoscatologist Andrew Bone on CBC Radio finds 1000 year old Viking Turd.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyds_Bank_coprolite
    https://vimeo.com/18311924
    There is an even older case in an Oregon Cave that dates back to 14,300 years old... http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/280

I couldn't believe this is somebodies job and they have to go to school for a long time to qualify imagine getting up in the morning to go to work!

Regard's Patrick
    Well it was definitely somebodies job.

There have been findings of Roman era doings along Hadrian's wall. Problem with all of this unless you know something about what was the position in society of the person who made the deposit you may be able to deduce a lot about that individual but very little about the society in which they lived. If they were a down and out the info about what they ate, how riddled they were with nasties etc may not tell you much about the world in which they lived. There will doubtless be street living meths drinkers staggering around today leaving little treats for future scientists that are not that dissimilar in content. If on the other hand they were further up the social scale - caught short on the way to the forum so to speak - who may be more representative and it will tell us much more - but how is anyone to tell?
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

What other 'treasures' might our society leave for future historians?

How about all the little bags of doggie doo in the trash? Someone could logically ask, "Why would someone collect this stuff and preserve it in plastic? It must be valuable."
      ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
      2) Enjoy playing it
      3) Enjoy sharing it
      4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

It kind of goes like this - you are what you eat, so what you pass indicates you diet. That tells investigators whether you were a hunter, farmer, fisher or raised domesticated animals. That tells you what kind of fish, fowl and animals were there to begin with, and what sort of weapons and tolls to look for. That, in turn, provides essential clues to what sort of a society you formed and how you might have lived you life.

I have some petrified dino turds in my collection - coprolites - and coprolite jewelry is frequently sold by rock hounds and jewelry shops here in Colorado. It's quite pretty when cut and polished, and it's a definite conversation starter at parties! Also handy for your office stress relieving "pet rock" that you can sit and fondle while listening to another boring staff meeting.

As a military parasitologist once told me: "It might look like S*** to you, but it's my bread and butter."
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Who gives a $#1t!

Paul
          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
          All human ills he can subdue,
          Or with a bauble or medal
          Can win mans heart for you;
          And many a blessing know to stew
          To make a megloamaniac bright;
          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
            Who gives a $#1t!

Paul

A lot of very highly educated people. Know what archaeologists like to find by preference? Ancient garbage dumps, which provide tons of information on the former inhabitants.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Oh man, Buzzfeed is going to turn this topic into a listacle.
              Historian on the Warpath | Medievalism on Screen: An Annotated Bibliography

Comment

Originally posted by scottmanning View Post
                Oh man, Buzzfeed is going to turn this topic into a listacle.
                Could be it's got potential for it.. Reminds me of "The Fusilli Jerry" 107th episode of the sitcom Seinfeld & Kramer's ass man plates it was a one in a million.

I'm glad not too live during ancient times far too many parasites according to the experts everybody had them.

The folks who do this for a living must have a sense of humour & be able to put up with a whole lot of sh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  Well it was definitely somebodies job.

There have been findings of Roman era doings along Hadrian's wall. Problem with all of this unless you know something about what was the position in society of the person who made the deposit you may be able to deduce a lot about that individual but very little about the society in which they lived. If they were a down and out the info about what they ate, how riddled they were with nasties etc may not tell you much about the world in which they lived. There will doubtless be street living meths drinkers staggering around today leaving little treats for future scientists that are not that dissimilar in content. If on the other hand they were further up the social scale - caught short on the way to the forum so to speak - who may be more representative and it will tell us much more - but how is anyone to tell?
                  Thanks for the reply I didn't see this in the search engine so I thought what the heck you guys might get a kick out of it!
                  Somebody's got to do it and who knows the pay may be good better than most as a matter of fact.
                  I'd say that there are much dirtier jobs out there for far less pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    It kind of goes like this - you are what you eat, so what you pass indicates you diet. That tells investigators whether you were a hunter, farmer, fisher or raised domesticated animals. That tells you what kind of fish, fowl and animals were there to begin with, and what sort of weapons and tolls to look for. That, in turn, provides essential clues to what sort of a society you formed and how you might have lived you life.

I have some petrified dino turds in my collection - coprolites - and coprolite jewelry is frequently sold by rock hounds and jewelry shops here in Colorado. It's quite pretty when cut and polished, and it's a definite conversation starter at parties! Also handy for your office stress relieving "pet rock" that you can sit and fondle while listening to another boring staff meeting.

As a military parasitologist once told me: "It might look like S*** to you, but it's my bread and butter."
                    The Viking Coprolite was said to contain a great deal of parasites including tape worms which could come out of any orifice at any time.
                    Andrew Bone described this on a CBC Radio talk show saying it's no wonder these folks believed in evil spirits, witches etc.
                    Makes me glad I do not live in Ancient Times he sounds like a very smart man I'm sure he knows what he is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by SmackUm View Post
                      The Viking Coprolite was said to contain a great deal of parasites including tape worms which could come out of any orifice at any time.
                      Andrew Bone described this on a CBC Radio talk show saying it's no wonder these folks believed in evil spirits, witches etc.
                      Makes me glad I do not live in Ancient Times he sounds like a very smart man I'm sure he knows what he is talking about.
                      Archaeologists love garbage. There's nothing quite so satisfying to them as finding a heap of layer after layer of discarded refuse, nicely covered in a timely fashion to aid in preservation and neatly organized in chronological strata.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X