Primary sources of medieval times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary sources of medieval times?

Hello, gallant armchair generals. I will study medieval history next semester, and taking a look at the cirriculum, I will probably want to add a bit, hopefully some primary sources, as these were not present at all in the cirriculum. Does anyone have suggestions? It is a study focused on Europe and the nearby regions.

When it comes to Norse history, I already bought Heimskringla, a 13th century work about Norwegian kings, which I think will satisfy my needs in that theme. I also watched Monty Python's documentary about the Holy Grail.

Hi Peders, there are loads of medieval texts available in English. A good place to start is the Medieval Sourcebook. It typically has something from a period or place in question.

Past that, it is not possible to provide a list of all medieval sources unless we narrow down the period or place. They are just too numerous. For example, I did a paper on the Battle of Falkirk (1298) and I was able to find nine different sources written within 200 years of its occurrence that mention the battle. Eight of them had English translations.
    Historian on the Warpath | Medievalism on Screen: An Annotated Bibliography

Comment

You might want to look into Medieval Warfare magazine by Karwansay Publications in The Netherlands. I get two of their magazines.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I was already directed to the Medieval Sourcebook on another forum, it looks very nice, and I imagine I will be using it a lot. As for narrowing it down, I already have a few things in mind for Western Europe (Heimskringla, The Prince, and the Anglo-Saxon chronicle), so for example something Byzantine or Muslim could be cool. Quite open to anything though.

About the Medieval Warfare magazine, I have been a little skeptical to the accuracy of publications like these, maybe because I see so much stupid on the television, but I will keep an eye out for it in the bookstore.

Comment

I like the quality of their work and the artwork is outstanding! They get some very fine current authors to do articles. A plus is they often do maps!

Check their website!

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Outstanding artwork indeed! But I like reading magazines in bookstores, with some luck I can read most of one for free and use my money on food and/or beer.

In case anyone wonders, I ended up buying The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, Two Lives of Charlemagne - two accounts of his life, and Ibn Fadlan and the Land of Darkness - a Penguin publication gathering works from several Arabic travellers. Add The Prince and Heimskringla, plus the actual cirriculum, and I should be set for a while.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X