My new warbow is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new warbow is here!

My new warbow has arrived. She was made by Lee at Heritage Longbows, and she is very fun to shoot. Named Heather, after my wife, she draws 117 lbs at 32 inches. She is made from a maple back, Purple Heart core, and ipe belly, the nocks are buffalo horn. I shot some arrows through a chronograph today:
    900 grain 3/8 inch parallel birch, 32 inches - 171 fps average.
    1296 grain 1/2 inch tapered ash, 32 inches - 148.5 fps average.
    That's pretty darn good for an English warbow.

Here are some pictures of her...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by llkinak; 18 Oct 12, 20:51.

Pic
    Attached Files

Comment

The laminates and horn arrow pass...
      Attached Files

Comment

One of the nocks...
        Attached Files

Comment

The side quiver...
          Attached Files

Comment

Three arrow examples.
            A 1/2 inch tapered ash shaft with Tudor bodkin, a 1/2 inch tapered birch shaft with a type 16 bodkin, and a 3/8 inche parallel birch with a type 10 bodkin. All the heads are hand forged. (Not by me!)
            Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful bow and I love those " arrows. How does it get any better than a longbow chuckin' iron tip fence poles.
              Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skiplc View Post
                Beautiful bow and I love those " arrows. How does it get any better than a longbow chuckin' iron tip fence poles.
                Thanks, Skip. The pictures don't do her justice. Very, very fun bow to shoot, though the poundage took a few tries to master. It reminds me why I love archery, before all these sight pins, releases, and fancy parallel limbs.

Comment

I cut some osage orange staves when I was about 12. At 14 I was working on the laminated bow and had it finished at 15. It drew about 60# @ 30" and was a grand improvement over my $10 Fred Bear fiberglass thing. I remember how happy my Mom was with the sinew and hide glue cooking in her kitchen.
                  Skip

Comment

Hey Lance; weigh one of those " assault arrows for me. I'd also like to see a video of you killing a dump truck.
                    Skip

Comment

Hey Lance; weigh one of those " assault arrows for me. I'd also like to see a video of you killing a dump truck.
                      The 1/2 inch ash weigh 1296 grains with a Tudor bodkin, which is a light head. If they had a hand forged plate cutter they could come in well over 1500, but that would probably not fly all that well. The 1/2 inch birch are a little lighter, but just barely. Both are tapered down to 3/8 at the nock. This bow seems to like arras in the 1100 grain range best.
                      Last edited by llkinak; 19 Oct 12, 01:12.

Comment

That's impressive and way to much bow for my scrawny old ass. Good video.

I was never able to get the limbs on mine very close to equal. I let an elderly Apache look the bow over and he told me to stay in school and study to be a milkman or grape picker.
                        Skip

Comment

Just remember church then archery practice.
                          "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

That's impressive and way to much bow for my scrawny old ass. Good video.
                            There are some folks out there who are drawing a fair bit more than I am, regularly in the 150+ range. I'll probably get into a heavier one in the future, but winter is setting in and I wouldn't be able to practice with it for five or six months anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
                              Just remember church then archery practice.
                              They're not one and the same?

To the butts!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X