Isandlhwana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorSennef View Post
    Flashman at Islandlhwana observes that the British ammunition supply is dwindling while fighting the Zulu chest and concludes defeat is imminent it is high time to hightail it and try to get out before the two horns, composed of the swiftest runners, meet in the back of the British position.
    Well, I just think it's worthy to notice, that Brits would lost the battle even if they had enough ammo for all the time (some new researches've indicated that most of the Redcoats got it, unlike N.N.C warriors), since it was thier deployment by Pulleine, that was fatal.
    "[...]

While Brittania's Huns with their long-range guns
    Sailed in through the foggy dew.

[...]"

Comment

All my respect for the Zulus went out of the window when I found out what they did to the unarmed Drummer Boys.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Nick,

You are looking at a different culture with different rules. The Zulu expansion sent a shock wave through neighboring tribes. Several tribes pulled up stakes and settled far away (one went to Zimbabwe!). Why did these tribes fear the Zulus so much? Because they were just as ruthless against them as the report of what happened to the drummer boys. I remember a story about an ex-British soldier that was found in an African village near Zululand. All the men and boys of the village were dead. In effect the old soldier had a whole village for a harem. The Zulus had been there. I wonder what a DNA test if that village today would reveal?

The British Army was also known for being fairly ruthless when they went against "Fuzzy Wuzzies" and other natives. Artillery, Gatling Guns and Maxims against spear and sword armed primitives?

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I have been trying like mad to obtain an account of some soldiers who walked out to Rorkes Drift. Not easily getting anything on it, I am left to wonder if it is myth? I vividly recall a guide at the battle site telling us spellbound kids a story of a group walking out to Rorkes drift, but maybe he was being dramatic.

However, survivors there were. Another reason that I feel not all got out by horse was that some re-appeared some time after the battle. I shall have to visit the museum again.

Nick, with regard to the killing of the unarmed drummer boys, I have read an account of the blodlust that the Zulus got into on the day, killing every moving thing on the battlefield, including all of the supply train animals. War in those days was slightly different to the civilised affair it is now.

Comment

So, what happened to the unarmed drummer boys?
            ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
            2) Enjoy playing it
            3) Enjoy sharing it
            4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

They were put to the spear.

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
                So, what happened to the unarmed drummer boys?
                Originally posted by MeenMutha View Post
                They had their testicles cut off, put upside down on meathooks and disembowled so that they died in agony with their exposed guts in their face.

Unsurprisingly, drummer boys were no longer exposed to battle again.
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  All my respect for the Zulus went out of the window when I found out what they did to the unarmed Drummer Boys.
                  And have You ever red what happened to the wounded Zulus (or those who where drunk after drinking rum) that were found in camp by British troops that returned to Isandlwana when battle was over? All of them was bayoneted... More over - Rokre's Drift: many wounded Zulus were there burried alive after the fight was over.

They were hung from a wagon by meat hook inserted under the chin and disembowelled.
                  "[...]

[...]"

Comment

Originally posted by Przemyslaw View Post
                    And have You ever red what happened to the wounded Zulus (or those who where drunk after drinking rum) that were found in camp by British troops that returned to Isandlwana when battle was over? All of them was bayoneted... More over - Rokre's Drift: many wounded Zulus were there burried alive after the fight was over.
                    After what they saw I'm not surprised they may have been a tad miffed.

However, I have never mentioned about what happened to soldiers of either side. My beef with the Zulus is their treatment of unarmed children. No excuse for that sort of thing.

Comment

I have read an account of the blodlust that the Zulus got into on the day, killing every moving thing on the battlefield, including all of the supply train animals. War in those days was slightly different to the civilised affair it is now.
                      Well, if You have red e.g. H. Smith-Dorrine memories, You would known, that warriors attacked less frantic all officers that had blue jackets (only 6 that were dressed blue survived) as their main objective were redcoats. It's said that Cetshwayo orderred before fightning to kill only redcoats and leave the others away, since they were civilians... More over - there're accounts claiming that Zulus pressed N.N.C. not so hard as the supposed to and many Indunas were shouting: "Leave the Kaffirs alone and attack soldiers, since it's the white man, who's forcing them to fight against us".

My beef with the Zulus is their treatment of unarmed children. No excuse for that sort of thing.
                      Well, on the other hand someone can ask who gave those children uniforms and brought them to the battle with foe thatwas well known for it's cruelty?
                      Last edited by Przemyslaw; 15 Mar 10, 03:53.
                      "[...]

[...]"

Comment

Well, if You have red e.g. H. Smith-Dorrine memories, You would known, that warriors attacked less frantic all officers that had blue jackets (only 6 that were dressed blue survived) as their main objective were redcoats. It's said that Cetshwayo orderred before fightning to kill only redcoats and leave the others away, since they were civilians... More over - there're accounts claiming that Zulus pressed N.N.C. not so hard as the supposed to and many Indunas were shouting: "Leave the Kaffirs alone and attack soldiers, since it's the white man, who's forcing them to fight against us".
                        Still killed the vast majority of them, but that's not what concerns me.

Well, on the other hand someone can ask who gave those children uniforms and brought them to the battle with foe thatwas well known for it's cruelty?
                        Only a pathetic and truly evil moron can justify torturing children . I'm sure you won't go down that path.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                          Only a pathetic and truly evil moron can justify torturing children . I'm sure you won't go down that path.
                          I'm only telling about taking risk for ones actions... If You're taking boys against Zulus, You have to got enough guts to face bad outcome.
                          Last edited by Przemyslaw; 15 Mar 10, 04:46.
                          "[...]

[...]"

Comment

Let's all relax. I just wanted a few more details. No need for anyone to get into a snit over my simple question.
                            ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                            2) Enjoy playing it
                            3) Enjoy sharing it
                            4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

In the old days it was common for kid soldiers learning their trade, across all services. If you play with fire.....

Not condoning anything here Nick, but if I send my kids to play with the street thug and he gets knocked about in an argument, can I blame anybody for it?

The Zulus disembowel all the dead to let their spirits free - they did it to all soldiers after the battle, English and Zulu alike.

Also not sure if they did to the kids when they were alive, to be honest. Is there proof of that somewhere?

An interesting discussion here on this point. Also raises the question of how were they put onto the hook, by the underside of the chin or anything else.
                              Last edited by MeenMutha; 15 Mar 10, 05:20.

Comment

The Zulus had been commanded to ignore the civilians in black coats.

You would know this if you had read another article on the battle.

Also, I dispute your contention that only six people survived, and that they were dressed in blue. Many more survived, and they were also redcoats.
                                Last edited by MeenMutha; 15 Mar 10, 05:21.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X